SharpCap 4.1 (including updated documentation) is now available!

Official SharpCap and Forum announcements
admin
Site Admin

SharpCap 4.1 (including updated documentation) is now available!

Post by admin »

At last! After almost 2 months where I have been largely updating documentation (with a bit of time taken to answer questions here on the forums and to fix the odd bug), the updated documentation for SharpCap 4.1 is now complete.

The new documentation runs to over 400 pages (even without the table of contents) and nearly 125000 words. That's 100 new page compared to the previous version and lots of sections re-written or significantly edited.

I've taken a bit of a different approach with the documentation this time around, arranging it more in terms of how it will help you with your astro-imaging tasks, rather than a long list of chapters on individual features. So, for instance, there is a section on 'Getting Good Images' which includes sub-sections on focusing and focus tools and on using the histogram to correctly expose your images. I hope people like the new organization.

With the completion of the documentation, I'm now happy to say that SharpCap 4.1 is 'ready' - I have updated the main downloads page at https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/downloads to have the 4.1 downloads (if you still want 4.0, there's a link there to take you to the old page).

I have no plans yet to try push out a 4.0 to 4.1 auto-update. Maybe the time for that will arrive in a couple of months.

Over the next few weeks I have some changes to make to fix a few outstanding bugs and tidy up a few loose ends with the new stuff in 4.1. I also have support for another camera brand coming up and a couple of slightly wacky ideas that I am keen on trying out to see if they can be made to work.

cheers,

Robin

PS. If you find any broken links, or ones that go to the wrong place in the download pages, or in the updated documentation, plese let me know. Almost all the links in the documentation broke during editing and had to be fixed manually, and I am not sure if I got every single one...
Menno555

Re: SharpCap 4.1 (including updated documentation) is now available!

Post by Menno555 »

Thank you so much Robin! :D
I can imagine your "At last!" completely. A lot of work has gone into it.

Menno
Sierrase

Post by Sierrase »

Thanks a lot I really appreciated sharpcap
God and great job
ilsamiles

Post by ilsamiles »

Thanks for completing SharpCap 4.1 documentation update, and just curious to know are we still able to use it's previous versions?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

you can certainly continue to use older versions of SharpCap - 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 and 4.0 are all available to download from the web site. Older versions do not receive any updates, they will still have bugs in that have been fixed in the most recent versions. Additionally, older versions will have less comprehensive camera support - not only do they not support some brands at all, but they will tend not to support the newer models produced recently by long-established brands like QHY or ZWO.

cheers,

Robin
GSBass

Post by GSBass »

Bravo Robin, I’ve been lecturing the robot makers about how to automate planetary and lunar capture for over a year and so it pleased me so much that you put the time in to actualy do it. I purchased a lifetime license tonight for appreciation, I’ve only had a chance to go through it on the sample Jupiter image but it looks nice and well laid out