QHY-600PH mono

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
jpberger

QHY-600PH mono

Post by jpberger »

Hi there, for deep sky imaging with NB filters using High Gain Mode, I use 5 min subs of exposure, Gain 56, Offset 10 and USB traffic at 50. I use the Live stacking option with Sigma clipping.

After 5 minutes, no frame appears. The exposure time continue. I have to reduce the USB traffic to 0 and bring it back to 50 to get a sub. But the sub is defect. After, a second frame appears 5 minutes later without playing with the USB traffic. But the subs is still defect. It is only at the third sub, the image is perfect.

Anyone has experienced a similar issue?

Best regards.

J-P
admin
Site Admin

Re: QHY-600PH mono

Post by admin »

Hi,

sometimes QHY cameras do not work nicely with long exposures when the camera is in video mode, so it may be best to switch SharpCap over to still mode (unselect the 'Live View' button in the toolbar) before live stacking. For some other makes of camera, SharpCap can auto-switch the camer into still camera mode when longer exposures are used, but a number of QHY cameras have slightly different resolutions depending on still mode or video mode, so SharpCap cannot do that for QHY cameras :(

cheers,

Robin
jpberger

Post by jpberger »

Ok thanks. I will try it! Just want to let you know. I love Sharpcap. I did purchase the permanent license!

Best regards
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello JP,

Yes, I have the same with my QHY cameras.

I always switch to Still-mode for exposure above 10 or 20s.
I have the same, when I change something, then I need to wait at least 1 sometimes 2 frames until the changes are complete.
With several minutes exposure, it is really a pain to stay in Live-mode.

In addition (something that I hate) is the resolution of the detector changing between the Live or Still modes with some QHY cameras (268 and 600).
I really do not understand the idea from QHY. The firmware programmer should be whipped for this terrible idea.
It is OK to have the over-scan pixels (and then different resolution) ... but please the same resolution for both Live and Still modes.

Regards,
Jean-Francois
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jean-Francois wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:00 am The firmware programmer should be whipped for this terrible idea.
That made me laugh! I must say I pretty much agree with you - the different resolutions is a terrible idea!

cheers,

Robin