Stop Livestack button

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
mgCatskills

Stop Livestack button

Post by mgCatskills »

Hi Robin,

Maybe others have suggested this in the past (seems obvious) but I searched and didn't find it.

The new GoTo feature which automatically shuts down the current Live Stack gracefully and prepares you for the next (which I like a lot) triggered perhaps an obvious thought... why not add a "Stop" button to the Live Stack dialog (next to Pause and Clear) which manually shuts down the current stack gracefully.

Maybe there's a better way to do this that I just don't know about, but what I do now is awkward and multi-step...

1) Click pause to stop gathering more exposures. 2) Click clear... which saves the current stack given my settings. 3) However, clicking clear starts the stacking again, so I have to hit pause again. 4) And then I get vague, but I think if I click Live View, I kill the old Live Stack completely. Although I'm not totally sure... in some cases I know I click the Live Stack button on the top bar, treating it like a toggle switch to turn it off.

-- The fact that I'm confused on this point, despite using SharpCap for a year now suggests how confusing it all is.

Anyway, why not a Stop button? It acts like the Pause button, but throws up a confirmation box like:

"Are you sure you want to shut down the current live stack? Yes/No"

If you confirm Yes, it shuts down the stack and puts you into Live View.

Michael
admin
Site Admin

Re: Stop Livestack button

Post by admin »

Hi Michael,

I think you are right that a Stop button would make sense in the future.

For now, in SharpCap 4.1 there is an option in the right-most tab (Settings) there is a box that you can uncheck - 'Start stacking immediately on clear'. With that box unchecked, the clear button becomes 'Stop' essentially, since it will clear the stack and leave it paused, ready to be started when you are on a new target.

Maybe just change the text on the 'Clear' button when that box is unchecked?

cheers,

Robin
mgCatskills

Re: Stop Livestack button

Post by mgCatskills »

I'm glad you think a Stop button makes sense. I don't think trying to convert Clear to Clear/Stop makes sense, at least not the way I use SharpCap.

I use clear all the time... let's say because I forgot to set preprocessing to use my calibration frames. Or because I want to correct framing.

By definition you use stop once per object. Clear you may use multiple times. I think it's too valuable to lose. I'd rather deal with the existing ambiguity of shutting down the live stack (after all I'm used to it ;-).

Michael