Blind plate solving and mount sync

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
cyrille.de.brebisson

Blind plate solving and mount sync

Post by cyrille.de.brebisson »

Hello,

I have an Ascom mount which I use with sharp cap.
However, my mount, at init time will require a first blind plate solve for syncing...

Trying to use the plate solve and sync function does not work because, I think, the mount current coordinates are too far of the real coordinates...

As a result, I have to first to a blind solve, copy the coordinates and set them in the mount, which is a pain...

Is there a way to modify the solve and sync (or have a different solve and sync) that will work on the whole sky rather than only close to the currently registered mount location?

Thanks,
Cyrille
admin
Site Admin

Re: Blind plate solving and mount sync

Post by admin »

Hi Cyrille,

there isn't a way to do this directly from the SharpCap user interface, but it should be possible with a simple two step sequence in the Sequence Editor.

The screenshot below shows the sequence that you need - the first step does the plate solving and will solve against the whole sky, while the second should sync the mount to the resulting co-ordinates.

You can save these steps as a saved sequence file (say 'InitialSync.scs'). Once saved you can run them quickly through the 'Run ...' option in the sequencer menu, or the 'Run Recent' option which lists the files you have recently used.

Hope this helps,

Robin
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (92.25 KiB) Viewed 2928 times
cyrille.de.brebisson

Post by cyrille.de.brebisson »

Hello,

Thanks for the info, I will try in the next couple of nights...

Is there a reason for the "limitation" in the build in plate and sync? Could they be a configuration option to change the 15° rule to smaller or wider?

Thanks
Cyrille
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

there could be an option for the search radius, but 15 degrees works really well for 99.9% of people - it's relatively fast and it covers the typical range of mount misalignment adequately.

Options can be dangerous things... For every person like you who understands what needs to be changed and sets the option to fix their problem, there will be about 3 people who change the value just because they can and break things...

cheers,

Robin