Fits header in PI

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Astrodgi

Fits header in PI

Post by Astrodgi »

Hi, I'm new user of this forum. I would like to solve a problem I encounter with Fits header in PI. I don't see them opening the FITS header tab in PI. I have checked the setup in Sharpcap pamareters and it seem OK to me. I tried different type of image format, it doesn't change anything.
Any idea about this ??

JM
admin
Site Admin

Re: Fits header in PI

Post by admin »

Hi,

they should show up. In the PI FITSHeader window, did you change the dropdown at the top of the window from <No View Selected> to pick the name of the file you want to look at the headers of?

You can also try an alternative viewer for the headers (ie FITSLiberator).

cheers,

Robin
Astrodgi

Post by Astrodgi »

Hello Robin,
thank you for your response. Yes, the image is present and chosen from the drop-down menu. Here is the message from the console process when opening a .tif file "** Warning: TIFF: Invalid TIFF directory; tags are not sorted in ascending order" This is probably where there is a problem. On the other hand, if I work in .fits I get another warning which is the following: "** Warning: Deprecated format: FITS". However, here I have the fits header information.
Thank you again for your concern.
Jean Marc
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Jean Marc,

I don't think you need to worry about the 'Deprecated' warning for FITS files. According to the PixInsight website, they still support FITS for input of source data, but no longer recommend it for saving processed images or work in progress. The warning is basically trying to tell you that.

I'm unsure about the TIFF warning. SharpCap can write equivalent header info to TIFF via the 'AstroTIFF' specification (https://astro-tiff.sourceforge.io/) - this is an option in the SharpCap Saving settings in SharpCap 4.1. However I don't know if PixInsight supports reading this sort of header information or not. If it doesn't then I wouldn't expect to see any header information for a TIFF file in PixInsight.

cheers,

Robin