Minimum RAM for SharpCap

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
rsmith6621a

Minimum RAM for SharpCap

Post by rsmith6621a »

What is the minimum RAM that SharpCap requires to operate?

Thank you.

Randy
Menno555

Re: Minimum RAM for SharpCap

Post by Menno555 »

Hi and welcome Randy

The recommended RAM is 8Gb, preferably 16Gb or more.

Menno
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello Randy,

I will depend on the camera and the capture.

If you take a "VGA" camera and do single long exposure ... then you can use SharpCap with less than 2GB.
On the other side ... if you use a full frame camera with IMX455 sensor for Live Stack ... then you will prefer to have 16GB.

And it depends on the data transfer to the disc ... it will help with slow transfer to have more RAM, so that SharpCap can use the RAM to save temporary the images.

Regards,
Jean-Francois
rsmith6621a

Post by rsmith6621a »

Jean-Francois wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:00 am Hello Randy,

I will depend on the camera and the capture.

If you take a "VGA" camera and do single long exposure ... then you can use SharpCap with less than 2GB.
On the other side ... if you use a full frame camera with IMX455 sensor for Live Stack ... then you will prefer to have 16GB.

And it depends on the data transfer to the disc ... it will help with slow transfer to have more RAM, so that SharpCap can use the RAM to save temporary the images.

Regards,
Jean-Francois
I have the SvBony sv305
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

The Sv305 uses the tried and true IMX290 sensor. I have one but it's from Altair Astro. It is a 2 mega-pixel sensor (1920 x 1080). My Windows laptop has 4GB of RAM but I don't LiveStack. Works great. I can't say if 4GB is enough for LiveStack, so I'd recommend 8GB of RAM to be safe. However, if you have the budget I'd get a 16GB laptop if you see yourself buying a larger format camera in the future.

Brian