at the moment I have several questions with respect to my EAA technique. I always try to improve things to get the best out of my equipment.
Starting off, my setup includes a 10“ f/5 GSO dobsonian over a single-axis EQ platform in combination with a Starizona Nexus 0.75x coma corrector/focal reducer (turning it into f/3.75) and the ZWO ASI533 MC color (uncooled). Additionally, I use the Baader Neodymium Moon & Skyglow filter for galaxies, open and globular clusters as well as reflection nebulae. For emission and planetary nebulae, I apply the Optolong L-eNhance. The faintest star I can usually see with direct vision is Eta Ursae Minoris with a magnitude of 5.0. This would translate to a Bortle level of either Bortle 5 (20.46 mag/arc sec^2) according to lightpollutionmap.info (which I would estimate too optimistic) or Bortle 6.4 (18.6 mag/arc sec^2) according to Sharpcap‘s Sky Background Calculator. So let‘s call it a Bortle 6 sky.
So far, I‘ve used a gain of 300 with 4 or 8 s exposures in bin 2 mode, since this was generally recommended for EAA on the CloudyNights forum.
However, in my recent images, I noticed some stars being plain white, which indicates pixel saturation.
I want to do EAA, so get a nice image in a maximum Integration time of 15 mins per object. Furthermore, I discovered post-processing some of the images is really fun and I‘d like to get the most out of the 16 bit FITS files I save for each object additionally to the „save as seen“ version. I would not bother having to wait a few more minutes to get a comparable picture with say lower gain values as long as post-processing would be easier.
Now my questions are the following:
1) Given my maximum possible exposure time of 8 s and the Bortle 6 skies, what combination of gain and exposure time would you recommend to me in order to
- have a pleasing EAA experience
- be able to sufficiently stretch the image afterwards while not saturating bright stars
Where should the histogram peak be located? More at roughly 1/4 or 1/2 away from the left end?
2) Should I image unbinned or in bin 2 mode?
When going unbinned, my resolution would be 0.83 arc sec/pixel. So far, I’ve used bin 2. However, I’m not sure whether that led to a loss in resolution and I would rather like to go in unbinned…
3) When comparing my image object X when using the Baader Neodymium filter with the image of the same object of another EAAer who is using very similar equipment (10“ dob, EQ platform, 3 sec exposures at 350 gain, Baader MPCC —> which would be similar to my Nexus CC), I noticed that his stars are much brighter and show way more well defined diffraction spikes.
I was wondering whether the Bortle 4 level he‘s imaging at is the sole explanation for this difference?
4) With respect to polar alignment, does the PA tool in Sharpcap work with equatorial platforms now? I once read that Tiago Ferreira was in contact with you, Robin, to make this work?
If so, I would like to try this feature
5) When using the L-eNhance, I understood that the contribution from light pollution noise should be smaller than that of read noise AND I have to achieve a solid SNR. So in this case, should I use the maximum exposure time my platform is capable of (8 s) in combination with high gain like 400?
Thanks in advance for your answer(s)!
Independently of that, I plan to do comparisons w/ gains of 150 and 300 in combination with 4 or 8 s exposures for the Baader Neodymium and see how it goes.
CS
Johannes (from Germanyj