Page 1 of 1

Solar Mosaic - CaK

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:34 pm
by Altocumulus
Experiment using Sharpcap's Solar Mosaic Tool.
9 Frames
CaK at f25
Processed AS3>>MS ICE>>imppg

MS ICE couldn't add on the missing top right of the limb - but as this was an experiment, I'm not too worried at this stage.

Interesting tool, thanks Robin.

However I started the experiment with Ha, which wasn't as good - note to self : don't use Autoexposure - It took me from 110fps to 28fps - Gain pushed to Zero and exposure to around 33ms.
13 frames were created at f46. MS ICE throws a wobbly, and AF2 couldn't handle the frames.

Still it was an experiment as I wasn't expecting any signs of the sun today.!
Cak9FrameMosaicsmall.png
Cak9FrameMosaicsmall.png (977.7 KiB) Viewed 8999 times

Re: Solar Mosaic - CaK

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:01 am
by Menno555
Nice experiment and cool to see the tool in work :D Haven't had any change to use it myself yet.

Menno

Re: Solar Mosaic - CaK

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:52 am
by turfpit
Altocumulus

Nice image.

As regards the missing panel, you could try starting with that panel only in ICE, then add 1 adjacent panel and stitch. If that works, add the other adjacent panel, then stitch. If that works, add the other panels and stitch.

Or crop the troublesome panel before stitching if you have enough overlap to spare.

Or for the troublesome panel, prior to stacking, try to pre-process using PIPP to perform image de-stabilisation see:viewtopic.php?t=2773.

Dave

Re: Solar Mosaic - CaK

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:29 am
by Altocumulus
Thanks Dave.

I didn't try any problem solving on this image - other than a re-try.
I prefer to try to stitch before further processing as there's always a risk panels won't match, even if imppg ( for instance ) uses consistent settings.

As to the Ha images. Because I was running at 27fps, by the time the last few panels were being created the first few had moved on, giving little for stitch to find commonality.
Mind ICE couldn't stitch the first 3 panels, running down the left rim - presumably stacking had altered alignment of edge given the sun's wobbling! 13 frames was, probably, asking too much.

As said, worth a go. Without reading the manual I will probably take more care if I revisit the tool.

Re: Solar Mosaic - CaK

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:32 am
by Altocumulus
Thanks for the link to the pdf.

I'll browse through it.

Cheers.

Re: Solar Mosaic - CaK

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:40 pm
by admin
Hi,

thanks for the report - glad to hear that it mostly worked well (although I was worried for a moment when I saw the image that the tool had missed the top right panel!)...

On the frame rate for autoexposure, you can set that in the capture setup stage. SharpCap should then start at an exposure that will allow that frame rate (ie 4ms for 250fps, 33ms for 30fps etc), then increase the gain to get good exposure.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (34.31 KiB) Viewed 8935 times
I have to admit that I struggled to get Microsoft ICE to stitch *anything*, but discovered that Affinity Photo seems to do a great job (and did it without any hints at all - just pointed it at the files).

cheers,

Robin

Re: Solar Mosaic - CaK

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:38 pm
by Altocumulus
Cheers Robin.

I usually have no problem with ICE. AP I have always had issues with.

Horses for courses I guess.

Re: Solar Mosaic - CaK

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:52 pm
by Altocumulus
Just had a go with AF. It 'tells' me no panorama found.

Re: Solar Mosaic - CaK

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:57 pm
by admin
Have you got AF1 or AF2? I am using 2.1.1

It works nicely for 9 panels anyway
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (34.73 KiB) Viewed 8926 times
cheers,

Robin

Re: Solar Mosaic - CaK

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:04 pm
by Altocumulus
Af 2