Atik 16200 won't save frames

Mystic_Hill

Re: Atik 16200 won't save frames

Post by Mystic_Hill »

The Atik software package is called SetupAtikCamerasUniversal-2023.07.14.exe. The July 14, 2023 package is the latest public release available on the website. I obtained it on August 15.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

OK, thanks, so everything is up to date and nothing works :(

I will ask Atik to test and see if they can advise on what to do.

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Roy,

I asked Atik about this - they tested the latest SharpCap 4.1 with a 16200 camera and didn't hit any issues, so the mystery deepens!

Their suggestion is as follows:
Perhaps the customer could turn on our logging system, this can be done by placing the attached file into %LOCALAPPDATA%\Atik\AtikCamerasDLL.

(the Atik\AtikCamerasDLL folders will need to be created).
After the next run of SharpCap a Debug folder will appear along with a text file inside.
If you could get them to send the text file to us so that we can analyse that would be a great help.
If you are not familiar with getting around the 'hidden' app data and local app data folders in Windows to do this, then the easiest way is

* Start a command prompt - press the <WINDOWS> key, then type CMD and press enter
* In the command prompt, enter

Code: Select all

mkdir %LOCALAPPDATA%\Atik\AtikCamerasDLL
start %LOCALAPPDATA%\Atik\AtikCamerasDLL
The first line will create the directory you need - the second will pop it up in a Windows explorer window.

You can then drop the attached DebugSettings.txt file into the directory.

I would also suggest checking your USB connection at this point - if you are using long cables or an extension cable, switch back to using short cables or change to a different cable, just in case.

cheers,

Robin
Attachments
DebugSettings.txt
(17 Bytes) Downloaded 107 times
Mystic_Hill

Post by Mystic_Hill »

Robin,

I created the directory and placed the text file in it. Give me a few days to plug up and test the camera.

I will say that I have a long USB cable and a USB hub. Hard to take the hub out with this laptop; was planning on getting a mini PC. I will test.

Roy
Mystic_Hill

Post by Mystic_Hill »

Robin,

Went to star party with setup and met with success. Previously I reported that 4.1 (beta) crashed on launch multiple times. This time, after wasted effort with 4.0 and camera flushing, I saw 4.1 on the Desktop, tried it and it worked fine. Happily, whatever you did in 4.1 also worked as I was able to capture frames in full resolution mode just fine (20s to download).

Log is about 3.5 hours, targets were M27, M31, NGC 6960, M45, M37

In addition to capturing images, I tried Goto Target (with Astap) and live stacking features.

The changes made to 4.1 for Atik 16200 included what? More time to download? Anyway, thanks, you got it.

Otherwise: using 4.0: shortening USB cables, removing the hub all had no effect on the problem.
Also user error: I tried drag and drop the Atik debug text file, which created a link instead, so the Atik debugging was not operational. Since corrected but not yet tested.

Attaching the log anyway. The menu generally does not detect the 16200 first time and you must rescan for cameras. Also plate solver program detection eventually gets it right.

Otherwise, all good at this end.
Attachments
Log_2023-09-15T23_24_45-5784.log
(728.63 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Roy

"No test can tell you how to live your life! A man like you, a man like me, we boldly go, and daringly do! Our heads are in the clouds, and our eyes are on the stars! Fill up your eyes with those stars, man!" --Darkwing Duck
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Roy,

I'm glad to hear that you have got things working now with SharpCap 4.1. I suspect that doubling the amount of extra time that the code would wait from 15s to 30s probably fixed the issue.

Hope you got some good images!

Robin