ASTAP additional option line

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Rcamkes

ASTAP additional option line

Post by Rcamkes »

Can someone please share the format and whether or not I need to put all variables or can I just correct 1? I believe I keep failing because of radius default to 15. HELP. Lost my only clear night in 3 weeks.

A screenshot for sake of clarity would be great as well.
admin
Site Admin

Re: ASTAP additional option line

Post by admin »

Hi,

you shouldn't need to put anything there, except for advanced use cases.

SharpCap uses a search radius of 15 degrees when you use the 'Plate solve and Resync' menu item (or the equivalent button in the mount controls). This is on the assumption that the co-ordinates reported by the mount are going to be within 15 degrees of being correct. If your mount co-ordinates are more than 15 degrees out then you need to correct that before using plate solving in SharpCap to refine the position.

To do a full sky search in SharpCap, you can use 'Plate solve only' from the menu, but it will be slower.

A couple of other things to be aware of...

* Make sure that the setting for focal length in the plate solving options is either set to 'Do not use' or is correct. If that setting is wrong then solving will fail as the plate solver will try the wrong field of view. Setting 'Do not use' is safe but slower.

* Make sure enough stars are visible in the image - in particular if you are using the display stretch function in SharpCap, turn it off and check that you can still see stars.

cheers,

Robin