Solving, enter FOV instead of focal length

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
han59

Solving, enter FOV instead of focal length

Post by han59 »

SharpCap has this input window:

The solver requires only FOV. Entering the focal length requires the correct pixel size from the camera drive. Is it not more efficient (and reliable) to enter the FOV directly. That makes helping new users easier. Or add it as a fourth option.

See for example this discussion at CloudyNights:
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/8854 ... p=12879924

Han
admin
Site Admin

Re: Solving, enter FOV instead of focal length

Post by admin »

Hi Han,

SharpCap has the correct pixel size for about 99% of cameras, since it forms part of the camera SDK for almost all supported brands of camera (and ASCOM too). That means that for the average user it's easier to enter the focal length as they hopefully know it. That said, there are some telescopes that aren't the focal length that they are advertised to be, and using a reducer doesn't always get you the 0.66x or 0.8x that they are advertised as - depending on spacings.

Adding a fourth option would be my preferred choice, I will keep it in mind for once I have 4.1 fully released.

thanks,

Robin