Can I use astrometry.net when plate solving fails?

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
captaincook

Can I use astrometry.net when plate solving fails?

Post by captaincook »

Hi Robin,
I am hoping this isnt a stupid question. Sometimes plate solving fails within Sharpcap (I am using ASPS) whereas astrometry.net on the website tends to be more reliable. Is there a way to utilise the output from astrometry.net to make the required mount movement in cases where the internal PS has failed? Maybe there could be a manual offset between the known and actual two points to send an incremental movement?
Cheers
Gary
admin
Site Admin

Re: Can I use astrometry.net when plate solving fails?

Post by admin »

Hi Gary,

no, not at the moment... SharpCap uses ASPS (and Astrotortilla/Ansvr) by finding the executable for the plate solving engine on disk and using that directly. Actually the engine is the same one used on Astrometry.net, so if astrometry.net works and Asps doesn't, it might point to something not quite right in your configuration. In particular, Astrometry.net tries the whole sky and all field sizes, so worth checking that the initial position and the focal length setting (if you are using it) are correct.

cheers,

Robin