SharpCaps plate-solving process is problematic

Using SharpCap for other Astro Imaging such as all sky cameras and meteor detection
GOT_SC

SharpCaps plate-solving process is problematic

Post by GOT_SC »

I am still unable to get SharpCap to collect a picture from the camera in real-time which ASTAP can successfully solve.
I have experimented with capturing images and storing them in the "Folder Camera" folder
And with those there - instead of selecting a real camera - I select the "Folder Camera" folder
I can then initiate the SharpCap's plate-solve process (round button located on camera menu on right side of screen) and ASTAP will use that image located within the "Folder Camera" folder - and perform the platesolve successfully on that image.

But when I select a real camera connected to telescope - and then do the plate-solve function then
SharpCap is not using an the image that the camera is taking
It is creating a secondary PNG image within the APDATA\TEMP folder - and instructing ASTAP to solve that image
And there is obviously something wrong with that image - because ASTAP cannot solve it.

I can "Capture" an image with the camera in the telescope
And save that image as a fits file
And manually open up ASTAP and load that image into ASTAP and it will solve it without a problem

So the issue is not the camera or its settings
The issue is not the exposure time
The issue is not the gain
Because ASTAP can solve an image with those settings - *IF* that image is not compromised by Sharpcap in some way.

I need to stop SharpCap from doing its current process.
I need SharpCap to initiate the camera taking a picture - and storing that picture as a standard "Capture" fits file
And then calling ASTAP to solve that picture.

I need SharpCap to stop creating a PNG file within the APDATA \ TEMP folder

How can I change the way SharpCap is initiating a plate-solve?
GOT_SC

Re: SharpCaps plate-solving process is problematic

Post by GOT_SC »

Ok - I'm more understanding why the command protocol is what it is for ASTAP.
Firstly - I noticed in the log - that ASTAP is being limited to a 15 degree search.
And I recognized at that time - SharpCap couldn't possibly know where the telescope was pointing.
So I must have to figure out how to get SharpCap connected with ASCOM and CPWI so that SharpCap can be updated with where the scope is pointing.
I figured that out - and then everything started falling in place.

When I initiated a GOTO within CPWI SharpCap was tracking with it.
That would make both SharpCap and the scope within 15 degrees of the desired target
Then when SharpCap initiated the plate-solve - ASTAP would be then able to solve it.

So I apologize for getting frustrated
I wasn't seeing the complete picture - until things started to dawn on me.

Thanks!!
admin
Site Admin

Re: SharpCaps plate-solving process is problematic

Post by admin »

Hi,

glad that you have it worked out now. I wouls also suggest tryign SharpCap 4.1, which now sends FITS images to Astap rather than PNG (as recommended by the author of Astap).

cheers,

Robin