Correct white balance (R & B) for ZWO camera

dankohn94041

Correct white balance (R & B) for ZWO camera

Post by dankohn94041 »

Hi, I have an ASI2600 MC PRO, and noticed that the when loading the camera in Sharpcap (native driver), the R & B whitebalance settings are not 50/50, they are 52/95. I have seen posts that this should be changed to 50/50. Is this correct? I tried a test imag & stack, and do see too much blue using the defaults. Why isn't this better documented if it needs to be changed?
Menno555

Re: Correct white balance (R & B) for ZWO camera

Post by Menno555 »

Hi and welcome

There is no "need" to change it. It's more like an advise.
As far as I know, ZWO has that as default values for the sensor to counter the effect of the green channel being dominant. But for most color camera's, green is always dominant. That's why astro processing software almost always has a feature to reduce/alter green.
That's why the 50/50 balance is advised because it gives the capture as it is: green is dominant. All this is then balanced afterwards during processing.

It's also a personal preference: some people do like the 55/95 settings, others like the 50/50 balance. And others set it to their own liking.
I myself use the 50/50 after experimenting with it. This because it just gives more control during processing.
But if you like/prefer the 55/95 balance, then it's just fine :)

Menno
turfpit

Re: Correct white balance (R & B) for ZWO camera

Post by turfpit »

A forum search (top right of window) for +zwo +colour +balance returns many results. One to be aware of is post #3 viewtopic.php?t=5150 where Robin states colour balance sliders for ZWO cameras *do* influence the saved RAW data.

Dave