Filter wheel crashing

harveyscoot

Filter wheel crashing

Post by harveyscoot »

Hi

I am using a ZWO290MM and a ZWO mini filter wheel for planetary. I am also using a Hitec Astro Focusmaster which is linked by USB to on screen viewing and adjustments. I have focussing offsets dialed in to Sharpcap for the various filters that I use.

This all works OK occasionally, but more often than not I am seeing crashes when changing filters. The only way I can avoid them is to disconnect the Focusmaster when changing filters, and then re-connect again once the filter has been changed. This is both time consuming and annoying. - Can anyone shed ant light on this please?

Many thanks
Harvey
admin
Site Admin

Re: Filter wheel crashing

Post by admin »

Hi Harvey,

check your USB cabling from the camera and various devices back to the PC. If possible run them all back to separate USB ports on the PC using separate cables, if not use a good quality USB hub and make sure it has a power supply to the hub rather than relying on power from the PC usb port.

The issue sounds a lot like either USB data communications issues (various devices all trying to send data at once) or a power issue - ie there is not enough USB power available to turn the filter wheel while other devices are connected.

cheers,

Robin
harveyscoot

Post by harveyscoot »

Thanks Robin

All items have already been run back to the laptop separately.

I take on your point about using a powered hub, I will try this as a first resort and keep you updated. What would you advise me to do if things don't work with a powered hub please?

Best WIshes
Harvey
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Harvey,

You could try using the ASCOM driver for the EFW rather than the support built into SharpCap (or vice-versa if you are currently using the ASCOM driver). Check that everything (SharpCap, drivers, ASCOM drivers, ASCOM platform, etc) are up to date. Also you could try replacing the USB cable to the device, just in case.

Beyond that, try on another PC if possible to see if you can get a setup that works. If you find one configuration that works and another that doesn't, change one thing at a time until you find the thing that causes it to flip between working and broken.

cheers,

Robin
harveyscoot

Post by harveyscoot »

update

OK, I have now connected all devices to a powered hub. The filter wheel is working fine now but the problem now is that S/cap isn't seeing my focusser at all. I'm pretty certain that it isn't anything to do with my focusser (Hitec Astro Focusmaster Deluxe) as it works fine through both the on screen adjustment program and the actual unit itself.

I'm pretty certain it's something to do with the S/ap program now. I have the latest version of the software installed on both the Ascom and Sharpcap software. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you

Regards
Harvey
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

if the focuser is not showing up at all in the controls on the right then you need to check that it is selected in the SharpCap hardware settings. If its showing up, but you cannot connect to it then it may be the settings on the focuser ASCOM driver that need checking. The fact that you can see it on the other program does tend to suggest that the hardware connection to the PC itself is fine.

cheers,

Robin
harveyscoot

Post by harveyscoot »

Hi Robin

I can confirm that the focuser is showing up in the hardware settings on Sharpcap. it is also showing in Ascom too. I don't believe I can change the settings on the Ascom driver as they take the settings from the focusmaster automatically and I can't edit them other than by using the fm software. It's probably worth pointing out that I can see the presets etc in Ascom so this doesn't seem to be the issue either. The interesting thing is that I can get it to work occasionally but it works a lot less often than it doesn't. I really am banging my head against the wall with it! I bought the hub, have replaced cables etc and am stuck I'm afraid.

What I will also point out is that I have a similar problem with Firecapture, but have never got things to work. FC recognises the filters and the offsets, - it changes the filters but the focuser isn't moving. :cry:

Regards
Harvey
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Harvey,

I'm not familiar with that particular focuser, but it sounds a bit like the main control of the device is done by the FocusMaster software and then the ASCOM driver probably talks to the FM software rather than direct to the device. If the ASCOM driver struggles to talk to the software for some reason then that might explain things.

One thing to watch out for in this sort of setup is running programs 'as administrator'. Windows doesn't like letting non administrator programs talk to administrator programs, so if you run the FocusMaster software 'as administrator' then you would need to run SharpCap as administrator too. Basically the best bet is nothing running as administrator, but if something does have to be administrator then go for *everything* running as administrator.

If that doesn't help then try using the ASCOM Device hub - you set SharpCap up to talk to the device hub as the focuser and then in the device hub you select the ASCOM driver. It puts another layer in between SharpCap and the device, but sometimes that can help work around issues.

cheers,

Robin
harveyscoot

Post by harveyscoot »

Hi Robin

I'm glad to say that I've now got to the bottom of it, so thanks for all of your help.

The issue is with the laptop I was using. A friend bought one over last night and it all runs on that. I noticed with mine when looking in task master that the power was coming up as 'very high' It did start to drop down when slowing the frame rates down, but of course this is less than ideal. I've just bitten the bullet and ordered a new one!

Best Wishes
Harvey
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Harvey,

good to hear that you found the cause - as an interim you could try something like 2x2 binning on the main camera which may well reduce the CPU load enough to help.

cheers,

Robin