Plate Solve Reports massive error

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
captaincook

Plate Solve Reports massive error

Post by captaincook »

Hi Robin,
Tonight I had continued problem where the plate solving worked and found it was close to where the mount thought it was (as confirmed in the log maybe a few mins out at most) but it then said it wanted to move the mount a lot (e.g. 11 and 14 degrees on two occasions). Any ideas?
Cheers
Gary
admin
Site Admin

Re: Plate Solve Reports massive error

Post by admin »

Hi Gary,

I've seen plate solving programs come up with the wrong answer at random before now - I guess that sometimes the pattern of stars is similar enough to another patch of sky to make this happen. I wouldn't expect it to happen very often though, so it would seem odd for that to happen to you more than once in an observing session (although it might happen repeatedly if you solve again and again looking at the same starfield).

Other things that could happen include

* mechanical slippage - ie a clutch slipping
* different errors on opposite sides of the meridian after a meridian flip (still >10 degrees is *really* big for that sort of error - more normally 1 to 2 or so).

If you have any saved files then you could try uploading them to nova.astrometry.net (online plate solver) and see if the results it gives agree with the results you were seeing when imaging. The SharpCap log will contain records of each plate solve attempt and the results it produced.

cheers,

Robin
captaincook

Post by captaincook »

Hi Robin,
Appreciate the quick reply.
The problem was Sharpcap solved the image and produced very similar co-ords to the mount location and this was also shown in the log. However, instead of completing a very small move it asked to confirm 11 degrees shift (and next one was 14 degrees on another mosaic panel I was doing close by).
I uploaded a fit into ASPS separately and it also confirmed the coords as expected (i.e. it was already close). So there wasnt any move required and definitely not one so large- in the end I ignored it but I have never had this problem before?
Cheers
Gary
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Gary,

that is odd. If it happens again, please save an image of the star field you are seeing (snapshot button) and share that image and the SharpCap log with me so that I can investigate further.

cheers,

Robin