Preprocessing Flip confuses debayer of screen preview and live stack

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
lowenthalm

Preprocessing Flip confuses debayer of screen preview and live stack

Post by lowenthalm »

I am using an ASI294 OSC cooled camera with the 7/31 beta release.

I tried on camera->preprocessing->flip->both after a meridian flip. The darks and flats appeared to be applied properly prior to flipping.

However, debayering appears to be applied after flipping without rotating the debayer matrix to match the flip that was performed. This failed in both live view live view preview (which turned from a bluish tint of the full moon sky to a greenish color with a fine moire pattern) and even worse in live stacking. I guess the live stacking look so bad because the histogram didn't match the new color range being produced...

Anyhow, definitely not handling debayer right after a flip operation.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Preprocessing Flip confuses debayer of screen preview and live stack

Post by admin »

Hi,

the only way I can get anything bad to happen is to have *both* the post processing flip turned on and also the normal flip in the ZWO camera controls. If I set either of the two to 'None' then the other works as expected.

Can you check to see if that's how you managed to get into this situation please? I will look into fixing this, but a bug coming from using both Flip options at once is pretty minor compared to the possibility that the 'post processing' flip didn't work properly at all on colour cameras.

cheers,

Robin
lowenthalm

Post by lowenthalm »

I had forgotten that there was a flip setting in the camera controls. I never used it because I I've only used an SCT and a Newtonian with my camera, so the image was never mirrored, only rotated 180. It also did it before flats and darks, so wasn't useful for handling undoing the 180 that a meridian flip imparts to the image. I was really happy to see this newer flip after flats and darks options, as I expected this would be a nice way of gracefully handling a meridian flip in live stack.

I have attached all the ZWO camera control settings except for the Image Controls panel which doesn't have anything pertinent, at least as far as I can tell. No flip in the ZWO controls, but I was running at bin 2x2. Maybe that's when things go awry?

It happened just before I shut down last night due to clouds. I will test more this evening to better characterize the problem.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-08-02 at 9.37.25 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-08-02 at 9.37.25 AM.jpg (100.73 KiB) Viewed 469 times
Screen Shot 2023-08-02 at 9.43.29 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-08-02 at 9.43.29 AM.jpg (112.42 KiB) Viewed 469 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I went to test bin2 and it was broken, then I switched back to bin1 and it was still broken... Now it breaks without both flip options turned on - can't quite work out why it didn't do that earlier...

I will dig further :)

cheers,

Robin