Hypercam 183c [fan cooled] cable query

Discussion of features and issues relating to Altair Astro Cameras
brenski

Hypercam 183c [fan cooled] cable query

Post by brenski »

I'm a bit bemused by this one.

Recently bought a Hypercam 183c [fan cooled] camera from Altair, however the USB lead I'm trying to use cuts out at random intervals.
this is the one i currently use with my Zwo183mc and SVBony 205 without any issue at all
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-43098-Ac ... RjuI4jcTFg
However, the Hypercam is a frustrating story and Altair are suggesting my only way forward is with one of their cables meaning another outlay of £125
https://www.altairastro.com/altair-5m-u ... 8VJbnZH3h8

why are Altair cameras different with regard to cable compatibility? Anyone know a way to get the Lindy cable working?
Or if not, anyone have a less expensive cable that does work with the 183?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Hypercam 183c [fan cooled] cable query

Post by admin »

Hi,

first off, I'd test with a short cable (<2m) and make sure the camera works OK with that. If you get problems with that length of cable then it may be that there is an issue with the camera - I have seen cases before of bad connections in the USB port of a camera, so it's worth eliminating that.

As to running a cable of over about 3.5m, it's always a bit of a lottery... Beyond that length a simple cable will not work. You need to either use USB hubs, or some sort of active cable like the one you linked to. With a length of 10m, I would expect it to have at least two 'hub' points along the length if it is running USB protocol along the wiring, or perhaps it runs some other protocol on the wire.

Unfortunately every maker of camera has adopted slightly different approaches to how the cameras communicate over USB, so a solution for one camera may not be perfect for another. I'm sure that other approaches to the expensive Altair cable will be workable, but finding them by trial and error of using cables, hubs, active cables, etc may be slow and expensive :(

Personally, I prefer to put the PC at the side of the telescope and use relatively short cable runs. I do use a USB hub (actually a Pegasus power box with built in USB2/3 hubs) for some devices and that seems to work fine with pretty much everything.

cheers,

Robin
brenski

Post by brenski »

Hi Robin

thanks for the reply.
putting the PC outside is not going to be practical. The active 10m cable has been used with the Zwo and SVBony the mini-PC located in our garage to the imaging setup in the garden, As I said, these have been fine, but the Altair is really messing with my mind.

I'll re-test with a shorted cable just in case, but if definitely worked initially.
brenski

Re: Hypercam 183c [fan cooled] USB Cable Fix

Post by brenski »

just an update to this:

for anyone with similar issues, this was my fix:

1] Lindy 10m active usb extn with 5v connector  
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-10m-Acti ... G4AZ0?th=1

2] USB Type-A Male to 3.5 x 1.35mm DC 5V 1A Plug Barrel Connector  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

♦ Connect 1 to PC and camera usb cable
♦ connect 2 to 10m 5v connector and other end to power tank.

So far, so good - having taken 100x captures it appears none have yet been dropped. Next step: try again longer exposures at night!
morayskies

Post by morayskies »

Hi

I would suggest trying the original USB3 cable that came with the camera directly into your PC - hopefully this should rule out any faulty supplied cable. I have this camera and use it with the original, supplied cable plus a 5m active USB3 extender cable with no issues (If memory serves - the extender cable is a Lindy cable).

I've had no issues with long exposure DSO imaging (full frame) or planetary imaging at a Region Of Interest (ROI) of 800 x 600 pixels. The only time I've had issues if if I've tried to video an full frame, but, that could be due to my ageing laptop.

Hope you get it sorted.
Clear Skies

Richard
Celestron 6" SCT, SW ED80, SW 6" f8 "Newt", SW 90mm f10 refractor
brenski

Post by brenski »

Hi Richard

Coincidentally, that's exactly what I tried the other night! - and it works fine

Martin