What hardware requirements are necessary for live stacking

Discussions of Electronically Assisted Astronomy using the Live Stacking feature.
artofpix_astro

What hardware requirements are necessary for live stacking

Post by artofpix_astro »

Hello!
I am ordering a new Astro PC and would like to use it for live stacking in the future, using the Lucky Imaging method for recordings with exposure times of up to 1 second and less. I will probably use my new QHY678C and M cameras for this.

What is important with an Astro PC and Sharpcap in order to achieve this without too many dropped frames?
I would get an HP Elitedesk Mini PC G9 Intel i5 12500 with 32GB DDR5 RAMS and faster m2 SSD. Would that be enough for live stacking?
admin
Site Admin

Re: What hardware requirements are necessary for live stacking

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, that spec of PC should work fine for the cameras you are suggesting (6 megapixel) for live stacking. 32Gb of ram will be plenty, and an i5 CPU is a good choice.

If you also plan to try high speed imaging (solar/lunar/planetary), be careful in your choice of SSD. At the cheaper end of the SSD market, the super-fast advertised write speed is only typically good for writing about 10% of the SSD capacity. After that, you need to leave it running for some time while it shuffles the newly written data to a slower part of the SSD before you can get more writing done at the maximum speed. Have seen this come up a number of times now on mini-pc SSDs. If you are going to capture a few 10s of Gb of data for lunar/planetary/solar from time to time then no problem, but if you want to capture 100s of Gb in one session then worth thinking about.

cheers,

Robin
artofpix_astro

Post by artofpix_astro »

Thanks very much! That makes my choice easier :-)
I would have this spoke here at home, I would have installed it:
Crucial P3 2TB M.2 PCIe Gen3 NVMe Internal SSD, Up to 3500MB/s - CT2000P3SSD8

It costs about €90 as a 2TB variant - so it is probably one of the cheaper SSDs.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, you are right - this is a QLC (four bits per cell) drive. According to the review here - https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cr ... d-review/2 - it can use all free space as high speed cache, which is better than many. You will be able to write data up to 1/4 of the free space reported by Windows at high speed and then it will slow down dramatically until it has managed to move that data into QLC storage.

cheers,

Robin