Flats temperature?

A place to post guides, instructions and HOWTO documents on the use of SharpCap and Astrophotography in general
Forum rules
One tutorial per topic please.
Please only post content that you have created in this form.
Tutorials should be either in PDF format as an attachment or written in the first post of the topic. Links to video tutorials you created are also acceptable.
stbkaiser

Flats temperature?

Post by stbkaiser »

HI
Basic question
For a Cooled CMOS camera
Should FLATS be shot at the same TEMPERATURE as LIGHTS?
I probably missed this fact , but could not seem to find a statement one way or the other.
thanks for your patience.
Steve
oopfan

Re: Flats temperature?

Post by oopfan »

Hi Steve,

I shoot Flats at the same temperature as Lights only because it is easy for me since I have an electroluminescent (EL) panel. I shoot them right after my Lights. However, if the Flats exposure is greater than 2 seconds then I'll also capture Dark Flats. This commonly happens when I use my Hydrogen-alpha filter. The EL panel radiates strongly in Blue so there isn't much at the Ha wavelength. Typically the Flats exposure is 20 seconds, so in that case I will capture thirty 20-second Dark Flats.

Technically I think you can capture Flats at any temperature, but if you do that, then I would recommend also capturing Dark Flats no matter the exposure. I could be wrong about this, but I believe it is acceptable.

Brian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Steve,

yes, Brian is right - the flats need to match the dark flats if you are using them. Dark flats (and the temperature match to them) becomes important when you are taking flats at relative long exposures (more than a second or two). If your flats are taken at short exposures then bias frames are an acceptable replacement for dark flats and the temperature is pretty much irrelevant.

cheers,

Robin
stbkaiser

Post by stbkaiser »

Thanks Brian, Robin
I have been having poor results with using Flats and wasn't sure if the temperature was critical.
Take care
steve