dudas

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
adolfo m

dudas

Post by adolfo m »

Hello, can anyone help me
I use the measure sky brightness tool to adjust the camera settings. I do this with the first of the filters, but when I proceed to do the same with the rest of the filters it doesn't let me because the program retains the results of the first filter. I don't know where you can reset it and it forces me to close shar cap and reopen it.
Thanks in advance. Greeting
admin
Site Admin

Re: dudas

Post by admin »

Hi,

you should just be able to press the 'Measure' button again, but unfortunately I don't have a camera with me at the moment to confirm this. If the measure button is disabled after the first go then try closing and re-opening the camera - that should fix it.

cheers,

Robin
adolfo m

Post by adolfo m »

Hello, thanks for the answer.
I have turned off the camera as indicated. It does not work, it is necessary to close the program and start again so that the suggested results are reset and you can continue with the following measurements.
One thing, the button – Measure brightness of xxxx channel – I can't get it to work
Could the problem be there? However, I can change filters with the buttons on the panel on the left side of the screen.
Thanks for the support
Kind regards
adolfo m

Post by adolfo m »

The change of filters does not act from the intelligent histogram.
Could it be that I did not install it correctly?
I copied the email that they sent me with the recent license and pasted it in the corresponding window (above the expired license, and I already had it operational
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I'm confused now because I have just checked and the 'Measure' button for the sky brightness definitely becomes enabled again once the first set of measurements is finished. The one highlighted below
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (47.5 KiB) Viewed 538 times
This lets you measure the sky brightness with different filters if you want and get customized exposure/gain suggestions for each.

There is no need to re-do the actual analysis of the sensor for different filters - the figures calculated by this process do not depend on the sensor in use.

cheers,

Robin
adolfo m

Post by adolfo m »

Hi, sorry to bother. I want to explain myself as best as possible
The measure button, if it works every time, is analyzing for a few seconds and returns to the same figures of previous results (in reality, these figures do not disappear during the process).
It gives the impression that a measurement is always made that has already been made.
As I already said, the <<measure brightness xxxx channel>>> button does not work, and so I am always asking for measurements for the same channel
I think <<measure brightness should be able to select filter and it doesn't
Thanks again
Greetings and good heavens
Chris_h

Post by Chris_h »

Right! So you are not actually measuring different filters, you are just changing the red/green/blue/darkest option? That will give you similar values I think, since you are using a colour camera.

If you have multiple filters (like IR/UV and dual band), you measure the brightness for each of them.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

the 'Measure <Red/Green/Blue/Darkest> Channel' option is only available for colour cameras, so if you are using a mono camera then it won't be available. What that control does is choose which pixels SharpCap should measure from the colour sensor. There's no similar choice to be made for a mono sensor, so the control is not available.

You should make changes to the filter selected separately via the filter control on the right - you can either do that before coming to the measurement window or while it is open.

The amount of time taken for the measurement will depend on how bright the image is. If you are just testing in daylight and the image is bright then the whole measurement process will only take a few seconds. If you have a dark site or narrowband sensors then it may take several minutes as it tries longer and longer exposures until it finds one that gives an appreciable number of photons in the darkest areas.

cheers,

Robin
adolfo m

Post by adolfo m »

Hello,
Now I understand why that button is not activated, my camera is the QHY163 M (mono).
So, I will have to do as before, I choose a filter and then I do the measurement and the corresponding shots. To delete the results of the filter already used, I close the program and reopen it.
Thank you very much for the instructions
Greetings