Multi-star FWHM focus seems to be busted

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
lowenthalm

Multi-star FWHM focus seems to be busted

Post by lowenthalm »

Latest version (July12th).

When I attempt to run multi-star FWHM focus (initiated with an [In]ward scan), Sharpcap changed my exposure from 4 seconds to .320ms, which coincidentally was my gain of 320 divided by 1000.

Sequence of events:

1) I accidentally installed the 32 bit version and failed immediately once I tried to do anything with an out of memory error.
2) I then downloaded the 64-bit version and installed and launched it to get the camera cooler going again.
3) While the camera was 64-bit Sharpcap was cooling down the camera, I uninstalled the 32-bit version of Sharpcap going through the Windows 10 control panel for uninstalling apps.
4) I ran multi-star FWHM focus via a sequence, and hit the above problem.
5) I ran multi-star FWHM focus directly by hand, changed the focus position to 30 steps out of where I thought focus would be and hit the "In" button to initiate the focus. Same result, with .320 ms as the exposure. I cancelled and SC switched back to 4s exposures automatically. I don't think it did this when I ran it in a sequence...I was a little panicked, so maybe I am misremembering.
6) Thinking I broke something when uninstalling the 32-bit version while the 64-bit version, I quite and ran the 64-bit installer and hit the "Repair" button. Then I reran steps 5 above with the same result.
7) At this point, I had to abandon the current beta and reinstall the previous one. All was well when I tried to focus.

I didn't have all the logging turned on, so it didn't seem to have all the stuff in it that you might need to figure it you can't reproduce it. I have attached it here anyway, just in case it will help. Let me know if you need a more verbose log to diagnose the problem. I can reinstall tomorrow and reproduce it with a better log..
Attachments
2023-07-12 FWHM Focus failing with nonsense exposure change.txt.zip
(16.25 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Multi-star FWHM focus seems to be busted

Post by admin »

Ooops, I see what is going on. I tried to shortcut some of the closedown code for ZWO cameras to avoid issues with potentially being stuck during closedown and didn't spot the follow on code about a page further down that also needed to be stopped from running... Basically it ended up setting the exposure to minimum on mode changes :(

Hold on for an hour or so and I will have a fixed version sorted.

cheers,

Robin
lowenthalm

Re: Multi-star FWHM focus seems to be busted

Post by lowenthalm »

Thanks for the quick turn around, definitely fixed. Will be heavily exercising the new beta tonight!