FWHM measurement fails after focus script - thinks focuser is still moving...

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
lowenthalm

FWHM measurement fails after focus script - thinks focuser is still moving...

Post by lowenthalm »

I ran a FWHM auto-focus script (see attached complete log). It found best focus and moved to that focus. The sequence completed. I closed the sequence status window and then opened FWHM to see what my FWHM was after focus.

This was where it got weird. The FWHM panel didn't update. It just showed the last values seen by the during the focus run that was just completed. It also didn't highlight stars being used for the FWHM measurement. I turned on focuser logging and looked at the log when I opened and closed the FWHM panel. It was always in a state where it thought the focuser was still moving, and waiting for it to stop.

I cleared this toward the end of the script by typing into the focuser position text edit field a value one less than the current position. The FWHM focus measurement panel immediately came alive and no longer reported the focuser was still moving.

Not sure this was a status problem in the CWPI focuser driver, or something in SharpCap. I know I saw this once before a few beta versions back, but didn't really get good enough data on what I had done prior for a bug report.
Attachments
2023-07-03 FWHM unfrozen by moving focuser in 1.txt.zip
(40.99 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: FWHM measurement fails after focus script - thinks focuser is still moving...

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think what happened here is that the autofocus process showed the multi-star FWHM graph, then closed it when the scan was finished. At the moment that the FWHM graph was closed, the focuser was still moving. If the graph remains open it gets a notification that the movement was stopped and updates its own status accordingly. But, since it had been closed it didn't get the notification, so it stayed in 'focuser moving' status while it was inactive and also when it was re-activated manually. When you moved the focuser it ended up coming back into sync.

I will update the code so that it refreshes the focuser moving status whenever it is activated, which should stop the issue from happening again.

Thanks for the report - this sort of issue is often tricky to even detect and even harder to track down, but a good bug report helps enormously :)

cheers,

Robin