postage stamp size photos

Discussions of using SharpCap for Planetary Imaging
jeffisme

postage stamp size photos

Post by jeffisme »

' hi, I am using my celestron 11 telescope for the first time in a year, so I'm guessing I'm forgetting something. I use it to capture jupiter. I got some nice images the other night but when running them through PIPP, they were so small as to be unusable. No PIPP setting helped, so I'm assuming the problem is in my Sharp cap settings.

I'm using a 290 camera, no barlow. Could it be my field of view?. I bring it in tight to increase my frame rate, so it's maybe 400 x 400. If that's it, would be the ideal setting or if something else, I'm happy to experiment.

thanks for any help,

jeff
admin
Site Admin

Re: postage stamp size photos

Post by admin »

Hi Jeff,

currently Jupiter is 36 seconds of arc in diameter, and a 290 camera and no barlow on a C11 will give 0.2 arc seconds per pixel, so you would expect the image of Jupiter to be about 180 pixels across. If you have accidentally turned on binning then it will appear smaller, so that is worth checking.

Using a cropped ROI will capture a smaller video and allow for increased frame rates, but will not make the image of Jupiter any bigger in terms of pixels. For that you will need to add a barlow to increase the effective focal length of the telescope.

cheers,

Robin
jeffisme

Post by jeffisme »

Thanks, that is about the size I am getting. So nothing to do but wait it out, I guess. thanks again for the helpful response.

jeff
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Jeff

Goto http://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/. The calculator will allow you to investigate the output from various hardware combinations.

Dave

FOV-1.jpg
FOV-1.jpg (142.79 KiB) Viewed 7985 times

FOV-2.jpg
FOV-2.jpg (54.56 KiB) Viewed 7985 times
jeffisme

Post by jeffisme »

wow! That's really terrific. Thanks so much. I live right near a terrific astronomy shop, Starizona. I'll send them the url as I'm sure it would be helpful to those of us who are somewhat challenged when it comes to the math.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

jeffisme

Post by jeffisme »

right, it figures that they would. but because they think I'm more intelligent than I actually am, they never mentioned it. :D
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Jeff

I find the Astronomy Tools version useful for the pictorial representation of what the equipment will 'see' - useful before spending lots of money on new equipment which will not fit well with existing kit or wasting hours capturing a small part of a large nebula.

Dave