Sensor Analysis- asi2600mc

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
john_robertson1953

Sensor Analysis- asi2600mc

Post by john_robertson1953 »

Hi Robin,

I vaguely remember seeing some tips regarding my problem, and I’ve spent over an hour, and I can’t find what I thought I had read at one point.

Anyway, i’ve run the sensor analysis five times for a new camera, ASI 2600 MC, that I just received.

The results are only showing 14 bit data, not 16 bit. I’m using the latest sharpcap beta; I also downloaded the most current camera drivers, and I’ve exchanged USB 3 wires. I’m using color mode 16 raw. I cooled to 0°C, but I believe I read where you stated it wasn’t necessary to cool.

I opened the camera in ASI Studio and it does show 16 bit info.

Other eqt: 8” sct hd edge, using CPWI.

Any idea where I maybe missing something, doing something incorrectly?

Thanks,

John
john_robertson1953

Re: Sensor Analysis- asi2600mc

Post by john_robertson1953 »

As an addendum, have you seen results that begin with -25 gain value?

Is this normal/ok?
Attachments
IMG_2023-6-18-115616.jpeg
IMG_2023-6-18-115616.jpeg (504.29 KiB) Viewed 431 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sensor Analysis- asi2600mc

Post by admin »

Hi,

check that your camera controls (particularly colour balance and other adjustments in the same section) are set to default. Those being set to non-default can sometimes give incorrect bit depth readings. It may be worth opening the camera with the CTRL key pressed down, which prevents SharpCap form loading any previously used settings.

As to the -ve starting value for gain, that's a new one for me, but I think I understand what is going on...

These cameras can be put into an 'extended full well' mode which gives the higher full well depth that you are seeing at gain -25. I think that ZWO didn't implement this to begin with, but then maybe decided to add it (QHY and Player One included it on their models). Rather than all the existing gain values for the camera changing, they have gone for a negative starting gain - it's a good choice as it means that if you had got used to using (say) 150 gain before the new feature was added, you still use it afterwards without the meaning of 150 gain having changed.

cheers,

Robin