Save Coordinates

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
DirtyRod

Save Coordinates

Post by DirtyRod »

Hey all,

I've been working on this for a few nights and am making no progress on it.

I'm running a CGX-L through CPWI and I've got pretty much everything working but the meridian flip. I installed ASTAP and it is successful with the platesolve almost every time. If I platesolve and sync, the mount goes haywire so I'm trying to save the coordinate and do a GoTo after to perform the flip. The platesolve is successful but it seems like it's not actually saving the coordinates. It will say that it was successful saving the coordinates but then I get the subsequent error when I try to go to the saved coordinates.

Debug 22:29:00.898613 #1 Sequencer : Starting : Save the current mount co-ordinates in void SharpCap.Sequencer.SequencerContext.OnProgress(string e)
Debug 22:29:00.905542 #1 Sequencer : Info : 'Saving mount co-ordinates of RA=14:55:20,Dec=+65:37:04' while running step Save the current mount co-ordinates in void SharpCap.Sequencer.SequencerContext.OnProgress(string e)
Debug 22:29:00.910612 #1 Sequencer : Completed : Save the current mount co-ordinates

'Exception' : Co-ordinates have not yet been saved during this sequence.

Basically when I issue the GoTo command it just sits there. Previously it told me that tracking had to be enabled so I do have PHD2 guiding enabled and it is tracking when I issue the command. I've tried Platesolve and Sync as well as just the Save coordinates command and it gives me the same error.

Something I'm not doing right? Running 9545 on a Windows 11 laptop.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Save Coordinates

Post by admin »

Hi,

firstly, let me make sure that this is all happening within a single run of the sequencer? The saving of co-ordinates is only valid during a single run, and they are thrown away at the end of the run, so if you start again they will be blank.

If that is all happening in a single run then it would be best if you shared your sequencer code with me so I can test. As far as I can see the internal code looks correct and the two steps work for me when I put them into a simple test sequence. Note that I am now working exclusively on SharpCap 4.1 rather than 4.0, so it would be worth you testing in the latest 4.1 beta in case this is an issue that has been fixed since 4.0

cheers,

Robin
DirtyRod

Post by DirtyRod »

I have them in a sequence but I was running the commands manually before I ran the entire sequence which included the platesolve, stop dither, stop guiding, etc, etc.

Sounds like it has to be part of a sequence so I just need to run it. I will do that tonight then. Once I get past that I will look into the beta.

Thanks
DirtyRod

Post by DirtyRod »

That was it! Once I ran the commands in a sequence I was able to get it to flip successfully several times. One giant step closer to being able to sleep through the night.

The last issue I have is syncing the mount. The flips were pretty close but the target was offcenter about an inch and being able to sync the mount prior to the flip should get me closer to center. Any suggestions on that?

I run the sync command in the sequence either as a Platesolve and Sync or Sync to Previously Saved coordinates and it says it's successful but any subsequent GoTo's other than home or way off or it won't move. It's like the mount no longer knows where its pointing of it sync'd to the wrong coordinates.

I was going to try the 4.1 beta and maybe the 2023 version of CPWI but figured I would ask first.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

why sync before the flip, surely it would be best to do that after the flip so that the sync will correct for any errors introduced by being on the other side of the mount (cone error being one component, but in general being so far from the sync co-ordinates when flipped will reduce accuracy). If you let the flip happen, GOTO the target again on the new side of the mount and then do a plate solve/sync/recenter action it should center things for you.

cheers,

Robin
DirtyRod

Post by DirtyRod »

I’ll try it that way if I can get it to sync.

Other than upgrading CPWI and SC to 4.1 beta, any thoughts on why Sync says complete but doesn’t actually sync?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

there are some oddities with sync in various ASCOM drivers - for instance EQMOD will reject a sync if it is too far from the current co-ordinates. It will also reject one if the mount is on the wrong side of the meridian. To give it credit, it gives an error message in both of those cases, although the error message isn't always useful, at least it's an error. Maybe CPWI has some oddities in that area too and has cases where it will reject the sync but *without* an error being generated? Purely speculation mind you...

cheers,

Robin
DirtyRod

Post by DirtyRod »

Thanks. Probably all true about CPWI. Unfortunately, when it rejects the sync, if that is what it is doing, it confuses the mount so all subsequent GoTo's are way off and when I go Home and then try to Park the mount it's spins off in crazy directions. The only solution is to power it off and realign.