Page 1 of 1

NGC 5128

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:51 am
by Vesmaobs261
Hello Group,
Being only a recent starter in the field of astroimaging
I decided to image the central region of the peculiar
galaxy Centaurus A, also known as NGC 5128.
I decided upon this after seeing the object through
the eyepiece of my 7" Mak. and noticing the dark band that
surrounds the core, together with a myriad of other dark
patches intruding in and around it.
The faint and fuzzy like image made me wonder how much
detail I would be able to capture, as well as how my limited
processing techniques would fare, techniques that I am
steadily improving on.
The images were stacked in Deep Sky Stacker, and from there
the final image was processed in Registax 6 with curves, together
with a medium sharpening routine.
What I thought would be a so - so image turned out better than
I expected, considering that the seeing rately co-operates here.
Compared to what I was able to see through the scope visually,
the image brings a new realisation to the minds eye as to what is
happening at the center of this galaxy.
The picture was made with the following setup.
7 inch Mak. with focal length reduced to 1350mm.
ASI224 camera
Gain 400
Exposure 100 x 15 sec. frames.
Cheers to all, George. :D

Re: NGC 5128

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:25 pm
by Menno555
Such a cool object and capture George!
Sadly it's here always below my horizon :(

Menno

Re: NGC 5128

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:45 am
by Vesmaobs261
Hi Menno,
I guess it works both ways.
I'd really like to be able to image M81 and 82,
but it's way out of reach for us down south.
I suppose we just have to be content ( which
I am ) with what has been granted us.
All the best
George :)