Solar Workflow

Discussions of using SharpCap for Solar or Lunar Imaging
umasscrew39

Solar Workflow

Post by umasscrew39 »

I am planning to take pictures of the eclipse next year as I did back in 2017. However, this time, the idea is to do live stacking as well for folks to see it on a monitor. I have a portable Askar 300 FRA scope setup to use with solar filters, but I need to practice with SharpCap after a few years away from it as I have been focusing on long exposure imaging using other software. So, I am curious if anyone has any tips, workflow, etc. to share before I dive back into SharpCap.

Bruce
admin
Site Admin

Re: Solar Workflow

Post by admin »

Hi Bruce,

if you have been away from SharpCap for a few years then you will find there is lots of new stuff from much greater use of plate solving to tools to allow you to pick and GOTO a target. Probably less change on the solar/lunar/planetary front (although new solar/lunar mosaic automation coming in SC 4.1).

I don't quite see how live stacking will work out for eclipse imaging. Normally that works by aligning on visible stars in the image, but that could only happen during totality, and even then would require exposures of at least a few seconds I would think.

cheers,

Robin
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

Hi Robin

Yes- I’ve been trying other techniques in my observatory the past 3 years but I still use SC for lunar imaging and polar alignment- in which SC is still the best in my opinion and I have tried many methods.

Indeed, of course you are correct in the live stacking for the eclipse being impossible. I took gorgeous photos back in 2017 using simple quick individual shots for the almost 2 minutes of totality. This time, we are expecting almost 4 minutes. I will use SharpCap this time and good to know no major changes. I will still have to practice to get my bearings back with it.

I will also have to test all of the new features I have missed.

Nice to chat with you again.

Hope all is well.
Bruce
umasscrew39

Post by umasscrew39 »

I want to circle back on this subject. I will be using a ZWO ASI432MM solar/planetary camera on a ZWO AM5 mount to capture the 2024 solar eclipse. I can do either single shots or a delay time video with a low frame rate. I am thinking of trying the later but am curious if others have tried this with SharpCap and, if so, can you share any settings and/or issues to be aware of?
kaymann

Post by kaymann »

Please let me join this train before it leaves the station...

I am also interested in knowing how to best capture the eclipse, as there is no real way to practice. Unless someone can indicate a good way to practice. I have gotten good at full-on solar imaging using SER files.

I have a SCT with white light solar filter and 533MC Pro, a PST with a 294MM Mini, and a Canon 300mm and a home made white light solar filter.

Any advice!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I have not tried an eclipse, but I use a low rate video for all sky captures. Set the camera to autoexposure, set the 'frame rate limit' to some value like 1 frame per second then start capturing. Probably capture to SER file. Try practicing on the moon on a partly cloudy night so that the autoexposure has to cope with the moon brightness changing as it slips behind clouds for either partial or total obscuration.

cheers,

Robin