Two Monitor View

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
AstroChessPilot

Two Monitor View

Post by AstroChessPilot »

I have noticed an unexpected behavior with Two Monitor View and beta 4.1.10609.0.

With SharpCap open on monitor 1, selection Two Monitor View displays the image on monitor 1 in full screen and nothing is displayed on monitor 2.

With SharpCap open on monitor 2, selection Two Monitor View displays the image on monitor 1 in full screen and Sharpcap controls and panels stay displayed on monitor 2.

It appears that Two Monitor View will only display the image in full screen on monitor 1.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Two Monitor View

Post by admin »

Hi,

that's odd... Just tested here and it is working OK for me.

Some things that might affect it and might therefore give me a pointer...

Are you using different DPI settings on the two monitors (one is high DPI, one not)? I don't usually have my system set up with a high DPI monitor, so maybe that is a difference

Do you only have two monitors set up? SharpCap will try to push the full screen output onto the 'next' display after the one it is currently sitting on. If there is another display somehow set up then maybe it is pushing the output onto that display even if the display is not visible.

There is also some information that gets added to the log when the two monitor view is activated - something like

Code: Select all

Info    14:48:06.158928 #1  Window currently at {X=27,Y=34,Width=1936,Height=1056}, which is on screen 0 ({X=0,Y=0,Width=1920,Height=1080}) out of a total of 2 screens        
Info    14:48:06.159059 #1  Going to place two monitor view onto screen 1 ({X=1920,Y=0,Width=1920,Height=1080})      
It would definitely be worth looking at that info in the log when you try the two different scenarios to see what information comes up.

cheers

Robin
AstroChessPilot

Yep, it looks like a scale issue. Both monitors are the same, 3840x2160 resolution and I run them at a scale of 225%. At a scale of 175%, two monitor view works as it should. Guess I need to install younger eyes! :shock:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

could you post the log entries that you get when you try it at 225% scale please - the ones like the lines I posted above. It would be interesting to see where it thinks it is putting the window. I only have one HD monitor available, so I cannot test that exact situation easily.

cheers,

Robin
AstroChessPilot

Here is a log for testing.
Attachments
Log_2023-05-18T19_27_25-15920.log
(43.38 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for that, the values look sensible (assuming that they would be in true pixels). However if they are supposed to be in scaled pixels then it could be pushing the second window completely off the right hand side of display 2.

Was SharpCap full screen on display one when you tested?

cheers,

Robin
AstroChessPilot

Yes, the SharpCap window was fully maximized, but not in "Full Screen" (F11) mode.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

please can you try SharpCap 4.1 beta (build 4.1.10652) when you have a chance - I think I may have been able to fix this, but am unable to test as Windows will not let me set an enlargement beyond 175% on a standard resolution monitor, and I only have one 4K monitor.

cheers,

Robin
AstroChessPilot

Here is a log from a quick test.

I started SharpCap and loaded the test camera.
The screen scaling was at 225% on both monitors.
Selected CTRL-F12 and the image stayed on screen 1. Selected CTRL-F12 to go back to normal view.
Changed the scaling to 200% on both monitors and repeated the same steps with the same results.
Changed the scaling to 175% on both monitors and repeated the same steps, this time the image moved to monitor 2.

Hope that helps you out reviewing the log.

P.S. I had a thoroughly enjoyable night yesterday with SharpCap and EAA. Thank you so much for such hard work you put into this wonderful program.
Attachments
Log_2023-05-22T13_52_26-3032.log
(43.05 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, that's odd...

The new way I found to get hold of the monitor sizes seemed to give different results when I tested (depending on the % scaling set). But on your system it gives the same results as the old way, which means it is no surprise that nothing changed :(

I will have to think a bit more about why this is happening...

cheeres,

Robin