Problem with Basler dart camera

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
wachtel100

Problem with Basler dart camera

Post by wachtel100 »

Dear Robin,

I have problems to connect my Basler dart daA3840 to sharpcap 4.1.10520 beta. I have installed Basler pylon 7.2.1. In the sharpcap camera window the basler camera appears as you can see in the enclosed picture. After starting the camera I get the following message: "An error occurred while starting your Basler camera"

Do you have an idea what can be wrong?

By the way...when I try Basler pylon 7.3, sharpcap will not find the camera. Only with pylon 7.2.1 the camera will be found from sharpcap

Cheers
Konrad
wachtel100

Re: Problem with Basler dart camera

Post by wachtel100 »

Basler 2.png
Basler 2.png (170.76 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
Basler 1.png
Basler 1.png (173.86 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Konrad,

I suspect is is something simple. Did you press the button to report the error? I just checked my uploaded bug reports and I didn't find any that match your problem, so maybe not...

If you could make it happen again and report the error, that would be good. Even better (but a bit more work) would be to send me the SharpCap log captured after the error has happened - that should have all the info I need to work out what is going wrong.

As for the Basler Pylon compatibility... I haven't found a way yet to arrange for compatibility with different versions of Pylon, so you need the version that matches the Basler.Pylon.dll file that installs with SharpCap. I guess in theory you could replace that file with the one from version 7.3 of Pylon (make sure you get the right version - 32 or 64 bit) . I will try to update the version in SharpCap in the next week or so.

cheers,

Robin
wachtel100

Post by wachtel100 »

Dear Robin,
thank you for your quick answer.
As proposed from you I pressed several times the button "Report Error"
On the other hand I copied the log file for you

Cheers Konrad
Log_2023-05-08T21_09_27-10320.log
(103.43 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Konrad,

thanks - the log provided all the information I needed. I found a small bug with the code that was trying to work out the control to use to adjust the exposure of the camera. That meant that an exposure adjustment was not found, so the camera started to shut down again, only to hit another small bug causing the crash.

I have fixes for both, and will also try to do an updaste to Pylon 7.3 for next week's release.

thanks,

Robin
wachtel100

Post by wachtel100 »

Hi Robin,

thanks a lot for your fantastic and continuous work on that great software package and the hard stuff to include all the camera SDK´s.

I look foreward that in the next revisions even the Basler stuff could be solved...I know that it is not easy with Basler.

Cheers Konrad
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Konrad,

yes, hopefully will all be sorted in the next update. As far as I can see the way that Pylon is designed means that it is very hard to make an application that works with different versions of it - I would have to include multiple versions of the Basler.Pylon.dll, one for each version of Pylon to support and then load the right one somehow.

It is also one of the hardest brands of camera to support - just as an example, to control the exposure you might need to request from the camera a control called 'ExposureTime', or perhaps 'ExposureTimeAbs', or maybe 'ExposureTimeRaw', depending on the camera mode :(

cheers,

Robin
wachtel100

Post by wachtel100 »

Hi Robin,

first of all...you got it...my Basler daA3840 will now be started from Beta 4.1.10652 (with Pylon 7.3).
Thank you very much :)

There are two points that do not work properly:

1) a minor one...sharpcap does not store the color space after shutdown. It always starts with 8bit even when I end the program with 12bit in that field.

2) The ROI field always is established in the upper left corner after starting the program. PAN and TILT are at 0 Position. It is possible to move the ROI field with the mouse but this has no effect to the real picture coming from the camera. Always the upper left corner from the picture is shown on the screen. (Picture enclosed)
I hope that this can be solved easily because it is very important that I can work in the middle of the sensor chip.

Do you need another log-file?

Cheers
Konrad
Attachments
Basler + Beta 4_1.jpg
Basler + Beta 4_1.jpg (304.04 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Konrad,

good to hear that things are going in the right direction.

I will re-test the ROI with the camera I have here to see if I get the same 'top left' effect as you. If I do then I should be able to work out the cause and fix it. If mine works then it all becomes more interesting and will require log files and so on.

For the colour space - there is an option on the fist page of the settings - 'Automatically restore last used camera settings when a camera is opened'. Can you check that you have that option turned on... If it is turned off then the camera will always open in 'default' settings. You can also try creating a capture profile (set of saved settings) and then loading that after opening the camrea. See https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Capture%20Profiles . Hopefully the capture profile will correctly restore the 12 bit setting when loaded, but if it doesn't then let me know.

cheers,

Robin
wachtel100

Post by wachtel100 »

Hi Robin,

yes, I had the 'Automatically restore last used camera settings when a camera is opened' turned on.

But there was another strange effect...in the Basler specs they claim 12bit camera and I can choose it in sharpcap. But in a stored ser-file I can read 16bit and also the stacked image (with AS3) is a 16bit grayscale image. It seems to me that the 12bit format from Basler is a 16bit image in reality.

cheers

Konrad