Having trouble plate solving

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
admin
Site Admin

Re: Having trouble plate solving

Post by admin »

Hi,

that's all interesting info - thanks for taking the time to test and share it.

SharpCap currently always captures a PNG file to send to the plate solving application, but it would be a 16 bit PNG file. However I wonder if Astap only reads 8 bit data from the file, which might cause it to miss faint stars.

Would it be possible for you to send me a FITS and a PNG file from your testing so I could check this idea out? You can email them to me - I will send you a private message with the email address.

On the subject of the slew not finishing - SharpCap should allow 120 seconds for the movement to complete - I was expecting this to be long enough, but if your mount takes longer I can extend the time. To save me from guessing (perhaps wrongly), please could you let me know roughly how long it takes for the longest slew you have seen.

thanks,

Robin
OregonSky

Post by OregonSky »

I would be happy to help.
Its Memorial day holiday here. I'm away from my gear.
I would gladly send files when I get back home.
-----------
When the slew issue happens its not long after clicking START. Even the Longest Slew is not over 60 seconds. It checkmarks the jobs and begins the plate solve while the slew is still happening. Only happens occasionally.
The Next time it does I will note the time, then Close and Restart Sharpcap thus saving a Log File.
I'll try to be more organized.

Mike in Oregon
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Mike,

well the slewing one isn't what I was expecting then. I wonder if SharpCap is asking the mount for its 'are you slewing' status too soon after starting the slew procedure. If that status doesn't update instantly then SharpCap could perhaps think that the slew is over straight away when it is in fact still just starting.

I can put a small delay in before the first 'are you slewing' check - that may deal with the issue.

cheers,

Robin
OregonSky

Post by OregonSky »

Sorry for the Delay - I did not see the PM alert * and was watching for an email in my Email Account. DOH !

I sent the files and data of what I have learned and tried.
I chose a fresh image of IC 1230. Nice Star-field.

Thanks so much for what you do !
OregonSky

Post by OregonSky »

Thought I would follow up.

Issue resolved, Thanks to help from Robin - and others on CN and Han at ASTAP.
I deleted all my software and reloaded from scratch.
I had been reluctant to do so for fear of losing what I had.
New ASCOM and Drivers - New ASTAP Suite 6.6SP1 - New CPWI 2.5.2 - and Newest Sharpcap 4.1XXX.

I did this on Aug 2 - 2023 and had one night out with success on both scopes.
Smoke and Clouds delayed a second night for a confirmation followup proving to myself that it really did work.
Last night was Awesome.

I told Robin - I have spent more great time at my Telescopes in the Last One Year and One month since getting my first camera ever than I did in the past 30+ years due to Sharpcap.

MIKE in OREGON
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Mike,

thanks for reporting back on your success. It's great to hear that everything is working nicely now and that you are getting more use out of your astro equipment these days.

Hope that you get some more clear skies soon, do post some of your images too!

cheers,

Robin
NeilG

Post by NeilG »

Just a thought - do you have the correct back focus from the reducer to your camera - it should be 105mm, otherwise the FOV will be different to that expected at f6.3 - which I think is what Robin observed with one of the images?

https://telescopescanada.ca/products/ce ... to%20105mm.

Regards
Neil
Scopes: Celestron C11, 102SLT , Ascension 127mm Apo, Opticstar 152mm Mak, Ascension 80mm Apo
Mounts: EQ8, EQ5 Pro, Nexstar SLT
Imaging: ASI1600MM-Cool, ASI533MC-Pro, ASI290MM, ASI224MC, Quark, QHY5L-II-M,
Opticstar 82 eyepieces, lots of other stuff
OregonSky

Post by OregonSky »

Thanks Neil:

I use a value from solving one of the images from each scope at Astrometry.net
1029 for the 6se and 1685 for the CPC 11.

Appreciate your time to help,

Mike in Oregon