New Feature : Moon Mosaic Planner

All the latest news about new features and improvements to SharpCap
Jean-Francois

Re: New Feature : Moon Mosaic Planner

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello Robin,

I guess that an image of the moon with the correct libration is not necessary.
But, the coordinates have to be calculated with the libration equations.

The image in my preceding message was generated without libration or moon phase and from the center of the earth (no parallax).
A grid with the coordinates lines could be added. The "click" on the image will give the coordinates of the crater in the camera.
The coordinates of both points have to be calculated with the real libration of the moon ... and then you have the relative position
of both points relative to the visible moon.

Well known craters will be used ... as my example with Plato and Clavius.

Regards,
Jean-Francois
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, yes, I get it... With the right mathematics you can calculate the RA/Dec of a particular crater at a certain time from a particular observing location... One point gives you an offset, two an orientation.

I will file that idea for later - it's a good one, but I will never get 4.1 released if I try to add *all* the good ideas before I do :)

cheers,

Robin
Buckrogers

Post by Buckrogers »

Hey there,

when I get to the Mosaic Capture options, the only option I have at the bottom is BACK, the NEXT is ghosted and I can't figure out why because I successfully did the alignment points and also tested. Put in how many frames I want to capture, selected auto gain/exposure, then I can't go any further. Any thoughts.
Buckrogers

Post by Buckrogers »

This is what I see. Doesn't matter what I select, the NEXT stays ghosted.
moon.png
moon.png (831.84 KiB) Viewed 5102 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

there is a 'Start' button hiding - you can just see the top of it above the next button. It's pushed down so far because of the number of filters running to 4 lines, which I wasn't expecting. Since you can just see part of it, you should be able to click on it, but I will do something about it being pushed out of view for the next update.

cheers,

Robin
Buckrogers

Post by Buckrogers »

Hi Robin,

Thank you. I was going nuts last night trying to figure out what I did wrong :)
Buckrogers

Post by Buckrogers »

Hi Robin,

Turns out I had to disable the Manual Wheel option then I can see the Run Mosaic button. So I managed to capture 18 panels, how do I join them?
Buckrogers

Post by Buckrogers »

Hi Robin,

Nevermind, I read all the comments in this forum section so I need to stack them AutoStakert then a joining tool like Affinty or Planetary System Stacker. By the way, I love this option, thank you so much for putting it out there, oh one thing I should mention, when I put a filter like 80A on my camera and tried Mosaic, it crashed because it couldn't find the right autoexposure settings. I kept going till past 2 min. When I took the filter off, it was fine. I have logs if you like to see what it was trying to do.
Buckrogers

Post by Buckrogers »

This is so awesome used Planetary System Stacker followed by Hugin to make Mosaic.
Attachments
Moon Mosaic.JPG
Moon Mosaic.JPG (85.23 KiB) Viewed 5010 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

glad to hear that you got it working in the end - nice image :)

I have fixed the button being pushed off screen for the next update. Have to agree that PSS is the best tool for stacking a mosaic as it will process all the videos automatically, so much less effort than AS!2/3. I haven't tried Hugin to stitch the panels, but it looks like it did the job nicely.

Please do send me the log from the autoexposure issue - I am still trying to track down cases where it fails to either fix it or make it fails more gracefully.

cheers,

Robin