Cannot install update or remove sharpcap

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
Ispybadguys

Cannot install update or remove sharpcap

Post by Ispybadguys »

I get an error on remove that the Windows cannot find the ..... on Update or install I get an error that the resource cannot be accessed
admin
Site Admin

Re: Cannot install update or remove sharpcap

Post by admin »

Hi,

sometimes the copy of the installer that Windows keeps to allow the uninstall to work can get zapped by something (perhaps disk clean up tools). The best thing to try is to download the installer for the exact version you have installed, then run that downloaded installer, which should give you the 'uninstall' option.

cheers,

Robin
Ispybadguys

Post by Ispybadguys »

Thanks for the quick reply. I did download the installer but it does not have an uninstall option. If I run the installer it creates an msi file but then pops up and error : The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable and it point to a folder in program data that has the Sharpcap.msi.

Kurt
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Kurt,

can you please double check that you have the download for the exact same version of SharpCap as the one that is installed. For instance if you have the 64 bit version 4.0.9529 installed then you need the exact installer for that version to get this to work - if you have the 32 bit installer then it will not work.

What you should see when you have the same version as the one that is installed is this :
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (22.43 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
If you do get that the both the repair and uninstall should work (hopefully).

If that is no good then it may be worth looking in the windows temporary folder after trying to install/uninstall - the best way to get there is to type '%TMP%' (without the single quotes) into the location bar of a windows explorer window, then press enter.

The install should create one or two log files in the temp folder each time it is run (depending on how far it gets you may only see one). Those log files may reveal more detail about what is going wrong.

thanks,

Robin
Ispybadguys

Post by Ispybadguys »

Robin

Well I did something stupid, and I deleted the SharpCap folder from ProgramFiles so I can tell what version was installed. I attached the two log files.

Kurt
Attachments
SharpCap_4.0_(64_bit)_20230426062401_000_SharpCapInstall.msi.log
(231.93 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
SharpCap_4.0_(64_bit)_20230426062401.log
(10.87 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Kurt,

from the logs, it looks like you had SharpCap 64 bit version 4.0.8949 installed - that is the install file it is looking for and failing to find when trying to do the upgrade. Hopefully downloading and running that installer (https://d.sharpcap.co.uk/download.html? ... 0&arch=x64) will allow you to clean out the remnants of the old install, which will then allow the new version to install.

cheers,

Robin
Ispybadguys

Post by Ispybadguys »

Thanks for all the help Robin. I really appreciate it. I ran the uninstall and it failed the same way but I was able to run repair and then run uninstall and now I am up-to-date and was able to apply my new license.

Kurt
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Kurt,

that's great to hear - I think I did know that 'Repair' is often the best way to proceed with this sort of issue. I will try to remember to mention that next time someone else has the same sort of problem :)

cheers,

Robin