Problem with ZWOASI533MC-Pro using SharpCap version 4.0.9545

MichaelT

Problem with ZWOASI533MC-Pro using SharpCap version 4.0.9545

Post by MichaelT »

Hello

I could really do with some help and guidance with an issue I have encountered running the latest version of SharpCap (Version 4.0.9545), details as follows:

I recently did an updated to SharpCap when it informed me there was a later version available. This update installed fine, no issues being reported. However when I then tried to connect to my ZWO ASI533MC-Pro camera (with the Telescope cap fitted) I saw this:
ASI533 V4.0.9545.jpg
ASI533 V4.0.9545.jpg (414.83 KiB) Viewed 6823 times
OMG I thought, my camera is broken but then I realised I had just been using the camera and it was fine! Initial thought then was the was a problem with the update. So I connected to my ASI120MM-S and then to the ASI120MC-S and both of these worked fine, very strange.

So I reinstalled an older version of SharpCap (Version 4.0.8973) that I had on my PC, again installed fine, no errors reported. Started SharpCap and connected to the ASI533, it works fine! I saw this displayed (as I would expect with the Telescope cap fitted, i.e. as for doing a Dark):
ASI533 V4.0.8785.jpg
ASI533 V4.0.8785.jpg (129.01 KiB) Viewed 6823 times
So at this point I am really confused as to what has happened, I should say that I don't think this is an actual SharpCap "bug" (as my other cameras work) but something appears to have gone wrong.

So, has anyone else seen this sort of issue or encountered a similar problem?

Really need some help...
Michael

PS: this is my first post to the forum so I hope it is ok...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem with ZWOASI533MC-Pro using SharpCap version 4.0.9545

Post by admin »

Hi Michael,

my guess here is that there is an issue with the ZWO SDK (the software the ZWO provides to let SharpCap and other software control the cameras). Some sort of bug with the 533 that has been introduced in a recent update from ZWO that wasn't present in previous versions. Certainly the code on the SharpCap side hasn't changed much recently, so I am not expecting it to be a result of a code change in SharpCap.

I just looked, and ZWO released another SDK update at the end of last week, so with a bit of luck that might fix the issue you are having. I will try to get the latest update into SharpCap 4.1 beta (https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/sha ... p-4-1-beta) and then get a new version uploaded later today which you can test to see if it helps.

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

it turns out there wasn't a new update from ZWO sadly :(

Although their download page listed the date of the SDK as '2023-04-13', the actual files included were identical to the ones released in January, which are in 4.0.9545.

I would suggest trying these versions to see which is the newest that works

These are all the versions just *before* a new SDK update from ZWO, so by testing these you are stepping back through the different changes to their SDK. If, for instance, you find that 4.0.9478 fails but 4.0.9313 works then we will suspect that the new SDK introduced just after 4.0.9313 is the cause of the problem (although I will check other changes between the two for any possible causes).

The only other thing I can suggest is to hold down CTRL while opening the camera - that stops SharpCap from reloading previously saved settings for the camera, which could just possibly be the cause.

cheers,

Robin
MichaelT

Post by MichaelT »

Hello Robin

Thank you for the guidance. I will have a go at working my way through the previous version and see what happens.

I didn't know about CTRL down so Iwill give that a try as well.

Many thanks...
Michael