Issues with AA269C Pro and recent versions of Sharpcap

Discussion of features and issues relating to Altair Astro Cameras
MillHeyAstro

Issues with AA269C Pro and recent versions of Sharpcap

Post by MillHeyAstro »

I have just returned to astrophotography after an enforced break of 12 months. Before starting, I updated to the most recent version of SharpCap - Ver 4.0.9545.0 - 64 bit. I get a very weird effect as shown in the attached screenshot
Sharpcap screen shot.jpg
Sharpcap screen shot.jpg (625.86 KiB) Viewed 8235 times
the camera is an Altair AA269C PRO. I am running Windows 10 on a Dell Pavilion with an i5 CPU and a 512 GB SSD, this set up has worked perfectly in the past. I played around with much swapping of leads and USB hubs and even connected the camera directly to the laptop but always the same. There was no problem if I switched to my Altair monchrome guide camera. I then rolled Sharpcap back to a version that had worked previously Ver 4.0.9268.0 64 bit. All was well again!

I have done a bit of playing around. I have uninstalled Sharpcap, Altair Capture and Altair ASCOM drivers and then installed the most recent versions of each. The problem is still there. I have worked my way through the different version of Sharpcap and have found that the problem starts with Ver 4.0.9499. Do you know what is happening and is there something that I need to do at my end?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Issues with AA269C Pro and recent versions of Sharpcap

Post by admin »

Hi,

this is an issue with the Altair SDK that is in the current version of SharpCap 4.0 - for the 269C in 12 bit mode you get the very odd (slightly trippy) image just like the one you shared. I have recently received an updated SDK from Altair that fixes the issue, this is available in SharpCap 4.1 beta (https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/sha ... p-4-1-beta), so I would recommend trying that version which should resolve the issue.

I will try to add an SDK update to SharpCap 4.0 within the next week or two (at the moment I am only updating SharpCap 4.0 infrequently as most of the work is going into SharpCap 4.1)

cheers,

Robin
MillHeyAstro

Re: Issues with AA269C Pro and recent versions of Sharpcap

Post by MillHeyAstro »

Hi Robin,

Thanks for that, I have just tried the latest 4.1 beta and indeed indeed it seems to work well.

I will keep using the beta and keep an eye out for the 4.0 update.

Cheers,

Chris