Connecting CGEM Mount Edge HD8 to HP Laptop

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Nittany

Connecting CGEM Mount Edge HD8 to HP Laptop

Post by Nittany »

My System: CGEM Mount Edge HD8 OTA, Celestron Focus Motor (Connected to laptop via USB and USB hub), ASI678MC (Connected to laptop via USB3.0 and USB hub)

Workflow: I use Skyportal app on Samsung tablet and Star Sense to sky align and polar align (Tablet is connected to the mount via Celestron Skyportal Wifi Module)

Primary Imaging Software: Sharpcap Pro Beta 4.1 (latest copy as of 03/20/2023)
Laptop: 32 GB ram and 1TB HD (Plenty space available)

What i am trying to do: I am trying to hardwire the mount to the laptop. To achieve this (using celestron's instructions) i have connected Celestron Star Sense Hand controller from the hand control port via mini USB to USB A to USB hub and the hub is connected to the laptop.

Sharpcap settings: In hardware tab, i selected Celestron Telescope Driver for Mount.

ASCOM Platform: I have installed the ASCOM platform and have also downloaded Celestron Telescope and Focus Motor driver from this link - https://github.com/ascomghostdrivers/le ... opeDrivers Since i downlaoded this for focus motor a few months back, i did not download again thinking both (focus motor and telescope driver) were installed when i hooked the focus motor to sharpcap.

When i open sharpcap and try to play around with the mount control - see attached picture, i am not able to move the mount. I get this error. So it seems that sharpcap has recognized the mount but there is an error in sending command to the mount. I think i am missing some drivers - Anybody can help me here what i am missing?
Also, the dropdown for changing type of tracking seems buggy. When i choose sidereal it shows me the "star" indicating it has taken my selection but reverts back to "?" indicating custome. Think it is the same problem - thinking i am missing some driver.

Any help on this?
Thanks
Nittany
Attachments
SC_Setup_Window_Error.jpg
SC_Setup_Window_Error.jpg (145.1 KiB) Viewed 466 times
Celestron_Mount_SC.jpg
Celestron_Mount_SC.jpg (324.51 KiB) Viewed 473 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Connecting CGEM Mount Edge HD8 to HP Laptop

Post by admin »

Hi,

I actually use the same Celestron driver to control my NexstarSE mount, and have it working as expected. The sort of symptoms you are seeing look very much like the driver is not initializing properly at all (unable to show the setup window, etc).

What you should see when using the 'Properties' button in the hardware settings is something like this :
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (111.06 KiB) Viewed 452 times
Note the 'Celestron Setup' window has appeared over SharpCap to let you choose the COM port to use to connect to the mount. If you are unable to make this window appear then there is something not right with the installation of the ASCOM driver or the ASCOM platform. I have also included task manager in the view to show that the Celestron ASCOM driver runs as a separate process. If this process is not starting properly, or is closing unexpectedly, that would explain some of the other errors that you are seeing (ones mentioning RPC for instance).

If your CGEM is newer than 2012 then you probably have a 'Nexstar+' handset, in which case you should (I think) be using the CPWI software as your ASCOM driver, instead of the Celestron driver (which is really for older, pre Nexstar+, handsets like mine).

cheers,

Robin
Nittany

Post by Nittany »

Update: Now, mount can be slewed by using the arrow controls. So that is good. But the Set-up and Tracking options dont work. If i click on either it gives the error that is in picture # 1 in the above post.
Nittany

Post by Nittany »

Thanks Robin.
Sorry, i had to edit this - I have CPWI software as well. How do i use CPWI as the ASCOM driver? Can you point me to this? Also if you can point me where you got the Celestron ASCOM driver, i will download from there and install that as well. As i said i got the driver from the link i posted above which i am not sure if it is correct. My telescope is 2012 but i use the Star Sense HC.
Nittany

Post by Nittany »

Update: Selected CPWI in the drop down for Mount in hardware tab and it solved the issue. All functions are working as expected. Can you point me to the Celestron ASCOM driver? I still would like to update this driver. Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

good to hear that CPWI fixes things for you. It's probably the best bet for newer Celestron kit, since the other ASCOM driver you were using is no longer updated. The version on the ASCOM 'legacy' download page is I think the newest - certainly the same version that I have been using.

cheers,

Robin
Nittany

Post by Nittany »

Ok. Thanks.