Platesolve3

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
fbecker65

Platesolve3

Post by fbecker65 »

Does the current version of SharpCap accept Platesolve3 as plate solving software or will that be available in SharpCap 4.1? The last mention I could find in the forums about this topic was from October of 2022.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Platesolve3

Post by admin »

Hi,

PlateSolve3 is supported in SharpCap 4.1, but not in 4.0. You do need to point SharpCap at the executable file for PlateSolve3 (it does not auto-detect the location), and it's probably worth getting PS3 working nicely from the PS3 UI (appropriate settings, etc) before using from SharpCap, since SharpCap only overrides a few things like search start position and field of view via the command line.

cheers,

Robin
fbecker65

Post by fbecker65 »

Thank you for the reply.

Any idea on potential release date for 4.1? (I'm not computer savvy and don't understand much of your explanation on how to use PS3.)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

my goal is to have 4.1 fully released by sometime in the summer (summer 2023 for anyone reading this in a years time and wondering why it is still not finished!!).

You can install the pre-release versions of SharpCap 4.1 now from https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/sha ... p-4-1-beta - there is a slightly higher than usual chance of bugs, and you will be forced to update to a newer version every month or two, but otherwise should work as usual.

For getting it to work, all you really need to do is tell SharpCap where the PlateSolve executable program is - ie something like

Code: Select all

C:\Platesolve3.80\PlateSolve3.80.exe
obviously the exact value depends on where you have unzipped the PlateSolve application to, and which version you have.

cheers,

Robin