A:start/stop/clear; C: pixel value readout when using view stack / view individual files; D: Log output file
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:46 pm
Hi, as beginner I am still performing indoor learning exercises with a primitive optical setup. My test "stars" are quite extended; nevertheless SharpCap recognizes them, if I set the "Maximum FWHM" to a large value (or don't activate the FWHM filter). I hope that my wishes (A and B) do not appear too demanding considering the large variety of SharpCap actions already available. SharpCapPro v.4.0.9538,64 bit, ZWO ASI071 MC Pro (using 4.1 beta sems too early for my limited knowledge).
A: When I command "Live Stack" the stacking process starts immediately. If a wish to change the inputs (set during an earlier stacking) I have to "Pause" quickly and input the changes. In order to attempt a pure start without conflicting earlier data, I select "Clear", the stacking starts again. I did not find a button for an orderly stop (of course with completion of the ongoing frame, the stacking process, and proper file saving), so I have to use "Clear" or exit with deselecting "Live Stack". I would welcome a start/stop button on the left side of the stack window, the stop action should leave all informations accessible (e.g. Filter (FWHM), Filter (Brightness), Log). "Save and Reset every xx minutes..." is not an exact substitute for a start/stop button (in my opinion).
B: I welcome the optional enlargement of the horizontal axis of the stack histogram by the corresponding click. Some ticks for percent values would improve the judgement on the histogram.
C: In "Preprocessing" I have selected "Subtract Dark" and "Apply Flat" with appropriate files. If I perform
a: "Framing Shot" or "Snapshot",
b: "Live Stack", and "View individual frames",
then "Pixel Value Readouts" are quasi identical for both cases a: and b: as they should be.
However, with "View Stack" the "Pixel Value Readouts" appear with significantly larger values, the stack is brighter by a factor of roughly 1.5 ....2.0 (differently for the three colours) . Is this usual for SharpCap's stacking routine or did I miss something? Of course, I did not change anything like exposure, brightness, gain, or colour space.
Is the stacking process endangered by this enlarging of values in the stack? A "Framing Shot" in advance to a planned stacking, then, may not be sufficient in order to avoid stacked pixel values reaching 100 percent ADU range.
D: Possibly I may be asked to send a copy of the Log output of live stacking (perhaps now or for the case of future questions). Does a "log" file exist (in which folder?) which I could attach to my wording into the forum? With respect to the stacking actions performed so far, I see only WARNINGS of the type "Save failed as destination file D:\ ....... Stack_16bits_6frames_60s.fits already exists". Is the "Clear" button not sufficient for clearing all files of a previous Live Stack? At the end of the stacking process a red message appears above the image window; it is not readable, because it disappears quickly (less than a second).
With many thanks in advance for your help, Albrecht
A: When I command "Live Stack" the stacking process starts immediately. If a wish to change the inputs (set during an earlier stacking) I have to "Pause" quickly and input the changes. In order to attempt a pure start without conflicting earlier data, I select "Clear", the stacking starts again. I did not find a button for an orderly stop (of course with completion of the ongoing frame, the stacking process, and proper file saving), so I have to use "Clear" or exit with deselecting "Live Stack". I would welcome a start/stop button on the left side of the stack window, the stop action should leave all informations accessible (e.g. Filter (FWHM), Filter (Brightness), Log). "Save and Reset every xx minutes..." is not an exact substitute for a start/stop button (in my opinion).
B: I welcome the optional enlargement of the horizontal axis of the stack histogram by the corresponding click. Some ticks for percent values would improve the judgement on the histogram.
C: In "Preprocessing" I have selected "Subtract Dark" and "Apply Flat" with appropriate files. If I perform
a: "Framing Shot" or "Snapshot",
b: "Live Stack", and "View individual frames",
then "Pixel Value Readouts" are quasi identical for both cases a: and b: as they should be.
However, with "View Stack" the "Pixel Value Readouts" appear with significantly larger values, the stack is brighter by a factor of roughly 1.5 ....2.0 (differently for the three colours) . Is this usual for SharpCap's stacking routine or did I miss something? Of course, I did not change anything like exposure, brightness, gain, or colour space.
Is the stacking process endangered by this enlarging of values in the stack? A "Framing Shot" in advance to a planned stacking, then, may not be sufficient in order to avoid stacked pixel values reaching 100 percent ADU range.
D: Possibly I may be asked to send a copy of the Log output of live stacking (perhaps now or for the case of future questions). Does a "log" file exist (in which folder?) which I could attach to my wording into the forum? With respect to the stacking actions performed so far, I see only WARNINGS of the type "Save failed as destination file D:\ ....... Stack_16bits_6frames_60s.fits already exists". Is the "Clear" button not sufficient for clearing all files of a previous Live Stack? At the end of the stacking process a red message appears above the image window; it is not readable, because it disappears quickly (less than a second).
With many thanks in advance for your help, Albrecht