Stop a Capture Set to Sequence Length >2 and Sequence Interval =0

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
kaymann

Stop a Capture Set to Sequence Length >2 and Sequence Interval =0

Post by kaymann »

While doing a capture of the Mars Occultation I wanted to do 150 frames of SER and then start a new sequence. The Idea is each SER file would have enough frames to get a good image of Mars without too much movement of the Moon. I also wanted continuous sequencing to document the occultation, so I set the number of sequences to 30 with a gap of Zero. The idea being to create a GIF out of the 30 postproductions TIFF's

So I set up a "Capture"

Select Capture Limit - Number of Frames: 120
Simple Sequence - Perform a Sequence of Captures
- Sequence Length: 30
- Interval between Captures: 00:00:00
Screenshot 2023-02-13 070944.jpg
Screenshot 2023-02-13 070944.jpg (41.25 KiB) Viewed 352 times
The problem: As the occultation nears and the Moon fills more of the capture, the exposure needs to be adjusted down. Adjustments cannot be made mid-capture. Stopping capture stops the immediate capture but with "Interval between Captures" set to Zero there was essentially zero time to adjust exposure. The only way I could think of to correct the exposure issue was to do 30 stop captures wasting valuable captures or completely shut down SC. So how do I stop a sequence of captures to make adjustments and then move on? Also, even with a larger "Interval" if I was to abort a large number of "Sequences" Each one has to painstakingly be aborted. In other words, there needs to be an easy way to pause or abort all remaining sequences.

Hopefully this is an easy fix... or even better I missed the already in place procedure.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Stop a Capture Set to Sequence Length >2 and Sequence Interval =0

Post by admin »

Hi,

the problem is that there is a notification that appears in the delay between the end of each capture in the sequence and the start of the next - that notification gives you two buttons to 'Not wait' for the delay period and to 'Cancel'. However, with a delay of zero, the notification vanishes straight away, so no chance to click on it.

The best I can come up with for now is to set a 1s delay - that allows the notification to show. Then, use the <Esc> key to cancel any capture rather than clicking the 'Stop Capture' button, and you can have the mouse ready to click on the 'Cancel' button that appears in the notification bar. Not perfect, but it's all I can think of in current versions of SharpCap.

I will see if I can do something to make this easier - maybe making it so that pressing and holding <ESC> will do the job?

cheers,

Robin
kaymann

Post by kaymann »

admin wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:48 pm
The best I can come up with for now is to set a 1s delay - that allows the notification to show. Then, use the <Esc> key to cancel any capture rather than clicking the 'Stop Capture' button, and you can have the mouse ready to click on the 'Cancel' button that appears in the notification bar. Not perfect, but it's all I can think of in current versions of SharpCap.

I will see if I can do something to make this easier - maybe making it so that pressing and holding <ESC> will do the job?

cheers,

Robin
Or a "Stop All" button... Either way would be awesome as even the 1s delay gives an old man like myself just a little time to react...

Randall
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Randall,

I went with the approach of holding down <ESCAPE> for now - pressing it will stop the current capture, holding it for more than half a second or so will cancel the whole set. This will be in SharpCap 4.1 updates from next week.

cheers,

Robin
kaymann

Post by kaymann »

As always, your quick and appropriate responses are greatly appreciated!

Randall