Sharpcap dropping connection with Synscan App

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Gibbo1862

Sharpcap dropping connection with Synscan App

Post by Gibbo1862 »

Hi

I recently updated to the latest version 4.0.9478 64bit and on two nights i have experienced intermittent connection to sharpCap, Which has prevented me from being able to plate solve. My Camera is ASI533MC Pro mounted on a 72ed scope mounted on an SW EQM35 controlled via wifi using a wifi dongle connected to the pc only. During my latest session i received the following pop up.

I have noticed the scope controls keep greying out during the session. ANy help and advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

SharpCap.Base.FailedToConnectException: No device found ---> ASCOM.DriverException: No device found ---> ASCOM.DriverException: No device found
at void ASCOM.SynScanMobile.Telescope.set_Connected(bool value)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at void ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CheckDotNetExceptions(string memberName, Exception e) in C:/ASCOM Build/Export/ASCOM.DriverAccess/MemberFactory.cs:line 613
at void ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.SetTargetInvocationExceptionHandler(string memberName, Exception e) in C:/ASCOM Build/Export/ASCOM.DriverAccess/MemberFactory.cs:line 647
at object ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(int memberCode, string memberName, Type[] parameterTypes, params object[] parms) in C:/ASCOM Build/Export/ASCOM.DriverAccess/MemberFactory.cs:line 314
at void ASCOM.DriverAccess.AscomDriver.set_Connected(bool value) in C:/ASCOM Build/Export/ASCOM.DriverAccess/AscomDriver.cs:line 172
at void SharpCap.Base.ExtensionMethods.WrapFailedToConnectException(object o, Action a, string deviceName) in C:/Documents/Source Code/SharpCap4.0/src/SharpCap.Base/ExtensionMethods.cs:line 361
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at SharpCap.Base.ExtensionMethods.WrapFailedToConnectException(Object o, Action a, String deviceName) in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap4.0\src\SharpCap.Base\ExtensionMethods.cs:line 366
at SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.MountWrapper.TryConnect() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap4.0\src\SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM\MountWrapper.cs:line 72
at SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.MountWrapper.EnsureConnected() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap4.0\src\SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM\MountWrapper.cs:line 212
at SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.RefreshMountProxy.get_CanReportPointing() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap4.0\src\SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM\RefreshMountProxy.cs:line 333
at SharpCap.ViewModels.MenuItemViewModel.Refresh() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap4.0\src\SharpCap\ViewModels\Menus\MenuItemViewModel.cs:line 116
at SharpCap.ViewModels.MenuItemViewModel.Refresh() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap4.0\src\SharpCap\ViewModels\Menus\MenuItemViewModel.cs:line 126
at SharpCap.ViewModels.SharpCapViewModel.UpdateAllStatuses() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap4.0\src\SharpCap\ViewModels\SharpCapViewModel.cs:line 469
at SharpCap.ViewModels.SharpCapViewModel.Update() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap4.0\src\SharpCap\ViewModels\SharpCapViewModel.cs:line 539
at SharpCap.ViewModels.Actions.SettingsAction.ExecuteSync() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap4.0\src\SharpCap\ViewModels\Actions\SettingsAction.cs:line 35
at SharpCap.ViewModels.SyncUIAction.ExecuteImpl() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap4.0\src\SharpCap\ViewModels\Actions\UIAction.cs:line 92
at SharpCap.ViewModels.UIAction.<Execute>d__6.MoveNext() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap4.0\src\SharpCap\ViewModels\Actions\UIAction.cs:line 31
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at SharpCap.ViewModels.ActionMenuItemViewModel.<ExecuteImpl>d__5.MoveNext() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap4.0\src\SharpCap\ViewModels\Menus\ActionMenuItemViewModel.cs:line 32
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at SharpCap.ViewModels.MenuItemViewModel.<Execute>d__30.MoveNext() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap4.0\src\SharpCap\ViewModels\Menus\MenuItemViewModel.cs:line 111
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-01-18 202123.jpg
Screenshot 2023-01-18 202123.jpg (100.14 KiB) Viewed 2805 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sharpcap dropping connection with Synscan App

Post by admin »

Hi,

from the look of the error, the communication between the Synscan ASCOM driver and the actual mount is dropping out at times, meaning that SharpCap cannot read the state of the mount or send it commands. If you are using a wireless connection between the two then consider anything that could be interrupting the wireless link (placement of WIFI antennas, etc). If it is a wired connection then check that all cables are firmly connected and have not been damaged. If you have the choice between wireless and wired connections, use a wired connection as it will most likely avoid this sort of issue entirely.

I am making changes for SharpCap 4.1 that will make SharpCap retry commands to the mount (or other ASCOM devices like filter wheels or focusers). This will help deal with issues where there are occasional glitches in communications, but can not fix problems when the communications fails more often than not...

Hope this helps,

Robin
Gibbo1862

Post by Gibbo1862 »

Hi Robin

Thank you for your reply.

I will see if repositioning of the antennas on the wifi card resolves the issue. Its a strange one, as Ive been using this format for the last year without any previous issues.

Thanks again
Paul.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Paul,

unfortunately it could be something that you have no control over that has caused the glitches - for instance as simple as a neighbour installing a new WIFI router that perhaps interferes with your coverage.

cheers,

Robin
Gibbo1862

Post by Gibbo1862 »

Hi Robin

Thank you for your message.

I know my WIFI dongle is on channel 6 and there wasn't any other device occupying channel 6 at the time. And the signal strength to the pc was good. I do know routers are continuously hunting for best channels and will swap channels accordingly. I will have my tablet monitoring the channels next time I am imaging to see what signals there are in the vicinity and to see what channels are being occupied. If anything becomes apparent, I will update this thread.

The workaround I used on Friday night was to park the scope, close SharpCap, Synscan app and Stellarium, but maintaining WIFI connection between the dongle and the pc. I then restart the Synscan App - connect to the mount, followed by starting Stellarium, and finally SharpCap. I then use Stellarium to slew to the chosen target. I am then able to use SharpCap to plate solve before imaging commences.

Thank you

Paul.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Paul,

good to hear that you got things working - even if it requires a fair bit of extra effort. You probably understand why I'm a big fan of hardwired connections though!

cheers,

Robin
gateway

Post by gateway »

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem and I think I can add some more details.

First my setup in detail:
Firmware AZ-GTI is AZ V3.40 right arm
Wireless Connection is established and stable (If I do not start Sharpcap I can control the mount with Stellarium forever without issues)
The mount is powered by a stable Bluetti EB-55

Software:
Windows 11
SynscanPro App V2.2
Stellarium V1.2
Ascom Plattform V6.6SP1
Ascom SynScan Treiber V1.3.0

I start SynscanPro and connect it to the mount. Afterwards I start Stellarium and connect it to the mount with the Ascom SynScan drivers. Everything works fine and the mount is controllable via Stellarium correctly.
I start Sharpcap and about 5 seconds after it finished loading Stellarium starts jerking, so Stellarium gets uncontrolable. The mount continues to responde to the SynScanPro app.
After closing Sharpcap and disconnecting Stellarium from the mount Stellarium does not connect again (Keeps trying to connect forever). After I restart the SynScanPro app Stellarium is able to connect again to the mount.
So I observed that even if Sharpcap is not connecting to the mount it interferes with the SynScanPro app.

I also tried to connect Stellarium and Sharpcap via the Ascom Device Hub to the mount but got the same results. The only difference is, that the problems start after 1 to 2 minutes from starting Sharpcap.

Is there any possibility to get help on this issue?

Many thanks!

All the best,
Philipp
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Philipp,

can you please just confirm something for me...

When you say 'I start SharpCap and after about 5 seconds starts Jerking' - is SharpCap opening a camera on startup (and potentially connecting to the ASCOM driver automatically because the camera is open), or is it just SharpCap starting up to the default 'idle' state with no camera open?

If it is SharpCap opening to the default idle state (or even opening a camera, but not connecting to the ASCOM driver for the mount) then the only reason I can think of for the issue would be low resources (Memory, CPU, etc) on the PC - is it a low power mini PC?

If it is the camera opening in SharpCap and connecting to the mount then it may be that SharpCap's regular requests to update the mount status is causing more traffic than the Synscap app can support.

If it is the second, I may be able to do something about it by adding an option to control the refresh rate of the mount position, status, etc.

cheers,

Robin
gateway

Post by gateway »

Hello Robin,

first of all, thanks for your very fast reply.

Yes I can confirm that there is no camera or mount connected at startup of Sharpcap. Thats the thing that confuses me most.

I also can exclude any resource issues, because the same environment works perfectly fine with an EQ-5 Skywatcher mount.

I tried several reboots and resetted also the mount, nothing helped.

Last thing I tried some minutes ago was to start the SynScanPro app and connect the camera and the mount in Sharpcap before starting Stellarium. After this everything seems to work again even start the apps in the reverse order like before when the error occured.

Can you imagine what was the problem? I am afraid to run into such issues again with not knowing what to do in the field.

Many thanks!

All the best,
Philipp
gateway

Post by gateway »

Hello Robin,

sorry to have bad news, same behaviour after 5 minutes of everything is working...

Is there any possibility to get logs out of Sharpcap? I want to help to drill down the problem.
Is there an debug option?

Many thanks!

All the best,
Philipp

EDIT: What I additionally observe is, that at the time Stellarium starts jerking, the CPU usage goes down to nearly zero. So therefore jerking is not caused by cpu utilization.