Page 1 of 1

First EAA images from 90mm scope

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:46 am
by jolo
This is my first post, so hello to all!

Recently I purchased an IMX533 based color camera to play a little with EAA and live stacking because I have never done that before. I plan to use it with SCT 8" mostly, and also with SY135 to try some wide fields as well, but for tests, I have attached it to my 90mm refractor.
It was windy last night and some high clouds were present, but I captured some first lights 8-)

The first one is M45 - 60x4s live stack with flat frames calibration only, so I needed to remove a few hot pixels because the Saturn C camera is not cooled - I wanted to have a lightweight and small camera.
2023-01-13-M45.jpg
2023-01-13-M45.jpg (756.64 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
I started live stacking too early and you can see some stars are horizontally elongated.

Another one was M33 galaxy - 100x4s stack.
2023-01-13-M33.jpg
2023-01-13-M33.jpg (785.48 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
And NGC891 galaxy with Abell 347 cluster left and lower from the center. It is 150x4 stack.
2023-01-13-N891.jpg
2023-01-13-N891.jpg (901.63 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
All stacks were shortly processed in PixInsight (color calibration, stretching, and noise reduction).
I am quite happy overall with these first results, and SharpCap autofocusing, plate solving, and live stacking with alignment and calibration worked well for me. I only need to prepare the dark frames for the next time and try with a sigma clipping stacking.

Re: First EAA images from 90mm scope

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:40 am
by Vesmaobs261
Hi Jolo,
Very nice images.
Amazing what a 90mm scope can do if coupled
to the right software and camera.
Keep up the good work.
George :)

Re: First EAA images from 90mm scope

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:03 am
by jolo
Thanks!
I just realized I did not provide more details about the setup. Refractor is TecnoSky Owl 90/540 with 0.8x FF/FR on EQ6 mount. My home location's sky is usually around 19.50 mag/arcsec2. Camera settings were: mode RAW16, gain 150, offset 100, stacking method: average, master flat present but no master dark.

Lucas

Re: First EAA images from 90mm scope

Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:32 pm
by Menno555
Hi Lucas and welcome

Some nice first light captures there, especially with the relative short exposure times.

Menno

Re: First EAA images from 90mm scope

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:20 pm
by timh
Very nice start with the scope. You are doing well to be imaging at all at the moment-skies here difficult. Tim

Re: First EAA images from 90mm scope

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:50 am
by jolo
Thanks, Tim! There are also mostly clouds at my location at this time of the year, so a quick EAA session is very helpful for health :)

One more stack captured with SharpCap and processed in Pix - Double Cluster in Perseus - 80x8 seconds at gain 150, with darks and flats.
Full frame 50% resized, and crop 100% size.
2023-01-14-DoublePer.jpg
2023-01-14-DoublePer.jpg (1009.67 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
2023-01-14-DoublePer-crop.jpg
2023-01-14-DoublePer-crop.jpg (1008.63 KiB) Viewed 2281 times