SharpCap 4.1 Beta Update - 10th January 2023

Discussions, Bug Reports and Issues related to Beta versions of SharpCap
admin
Site Admin

SharpCap 4.1 Beta Update - 10th January 2023

Post by admin »

Hi folks,

another update for you (no SharpCap 4.0 update this week - nothing significant has changed with 4.0 since last time).

https://d.sharpcap.co.uk/download.html? ... 0&arch=x64

What's new this week?

* Fixes for scripting issues such as not being able to AddReference on some assemblies used by scripts
* Improvements to feature tracking - more forgiving of movement scale mismatches in opposite directions, less likely to be confused by underlying perpendicular drift
* Fix focus score crashes due to ROI size being odd (not a multiple of 2) in either direction
* Enable planet/disk stabilization in 16 bit modes
* Add option in focus score (contrast/contrast range/fourier) to track the planet with the ROI
* Add humidity readout for QHY268M
* Fix SVBony cooled cameras only updating cooler power readout once per frame when running long exposures
* Warning in 'Capture Flat' when a dark frame is already selected and is blocking the use of the dark/bias subtraction options
* Various bug fixes

cheers,

Robin
donboy

Re: SharpCap 4.1 Beta Update - 10th January 2023

Post by donboy »

Hi Robin,

SC crashing while just waiting on capture. Happened several times causing me to eventually got back to non beta version.
Log_2023-01-09T21_09_12-7200.log
(209.04 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Log_2023-01-09T20_36_05-14804.log
(221.95 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Log_2023-01-09T19_37_38-3972.log
(361.52 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Also experiencing failure in plate solving when using Goto- Co-ordinates. But plate solve works on same object when using Plate Solve in Scope controls.

Don
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Don,

those errors are odd - I can see enough detail to know that they look like a networking error not being handled correctly, but there is nothing to point to where the error is coming from. In particular, there's no trackback to any particular code in SharpCap.

I have reviewed all the places that SharpCap uses the networking code directly and can't see anywhere that seems likely to cause this issue (all the places that you are likely to encounter in your test handle errors correctly as far as I can see). I'm wondering if it is something that SharpCap is using that is messing up the networking - that might include

* ASCOM libraries (they support Alpaca now, so have networking in them)
* ASCOM drivers

Also, the one place that SharpCap does use the network significantly is talking to PHD2 - again the code there seems to handle errors OK, but maybe I've missed something.

I will continue to look into this from the code, but it may be worth testing to see if there are any patterns - ie it never crashes if I don't connect to the ASCOM mount (or don't connect to PHD2 or whatever). That would help me narrow down my search if you find anything.

For the plate solving issue, from at least one of the logs I can see that Astap looked like it found plenty of stars (500+) but not a solution. Probably the best bet at that point is to 'Snapshot' a single frame to FITS file and then manually test out that frame in ASTAP to see how it does. Feel free to share the frame with me - if if looks like a problem with SharpCap I can then fix it, if it is ASTAP playing up then I can get in touch with Han, the author, and ask for his advice.

cheers,

Robin
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

Robin,

Feature tracking and automatic focus both worked very well night before last. Thank you for working so hard on them.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for the feedback - that's excellent news! :D :D :D

I think I will remove the 'Experimental' tag from feature tracking in celebration for getting it to work reliably :)

cheers,

Robin
donboy

Post by donboy »

Hi Robin,

I'm still having SC crashing issues. Almost every time when I try to load the next image for live stacking is when SC crashes. I stop Live Stack and shorten exposure for plate solving for the next object and then SC crashes.
Log_2023-04-03T00_32_14-10160.log
(248.64 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Log_2023-04-02T23_44_27-13420.log
(252.73 KiB) Downloaded 33 times

Regards,

Don
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Don,

that's the same error that we have seen before - related to the cancellation of some sort of communications being cancelled.

I'm fairly convinced (~90%) both from these logs and similar ones that you've shared before that this is an issue with one of your ASCOM drivers, not with SharpCap. Unfortunately there is no way for me to tell for sure from the log.

The best way to work out for sure is to connect all of your ASCOM drivers via the ASCOM device hub - if the crash stops happening (or device hub starts crashing instead) then we have pinned the error onto an ASCOM driver. If it still crashes with all the devices going through the hub then I will have to think again.

cheers,

Robin