Dead pixels, flats and dark flats
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:09 pm
Hi, Important issues have delayed my planned photographical activities. As a newcomer, I start now with the intellectual preparations (i.e. mostly reading the sharpcap manual and the forum), so I cannot present any data files yet.
I came across the old rule in programming: do not divide by zero. So, what happens with the formula
(lights minus master dark) / (master flat minus master dark flat) ?
alternatively:
(lights minus master dark) / (master flat minus master bias flat) ?
Could a dead pixel cause a division by zero? Possibly noise would prevent a value exactly at zero after the subtraction operations both in the numerator and the denominator. But a value close to zero in the denominator is not desirable too, it could create a large final pixel value (a “division star“) which is not eliminated, since all corrections (e.g. those for hot pixels) have been done by previous subtractions of darks/bias according to the formulae.
Could the motionless “division star“ hamper the algorithm for star tracking during sharpcap’s live stacking (as for the case of hot pixles, if those have not been corrected)?
A difference in the commanded values for the offset=brightness=black level for the flats and the dark flats would remove the apparition of a “division star” in some cases (not all). However, it would change the maths of the „flat“-correction; therefore this is not desirable.
I would very much like to learn the opinion of the experts on the problem outlined above. And I would like to learn the arguments, if the problem does not exist in reality.
In the sharpcap forum I found only:
dead pixel suppression in
viewtopic.php?t=5678
which deals with another aspect, however.
With thanks in advance, Albrecht
I came across the old rule in programming: do not divide by zero. So, what happens with the formula
(lights minus master dark) / (master flat minus master dark flat) ?
alternatively:
(lights minus master dark) / (master flat minus master bias flat) ?
Could a dead pixel cause a division by zero? Possibly noise would prevent a value exactly at zero after the subtraction operations both in the numerator and the denominator. But a value close to zero in the denominator is not desirable too, it could create a large final pixel value (a “division star“) which is not eliminated, since all corrections (e.g. those for hot pixels) have been done by previous subtractions of darks/bias according to the formulae.
Could the motionless “division star“ hamper the algorithm for star tracking during sharpcap’s live stacking (as for the case of hot pixles, if those have not been corrected)?
A difference in the commanded values for the offset=brightness=black level for the flats and the dark flats would remove the apparition of a “division star” in some cases (not all). However, it would change the maths of the „flat“-correction; therefore this is not desirable.
I would very much like to learn the opinion of the experts on the problem outlined above. And I would like to learn the arguments, if the problem does not exist in reality.
In the sharpcap forum I found only:
dead pixel suppression in
viewtopic.php?t=5678
which deals with another aspect, however.
With thanks in advance, Albrecht