Using Smartphone App (Iriun) with Sharpcap

andyfive

Using Smartphone App (Iriun) with Sharpcap

Post by andyfive »

Hello, I am trying to use aharpcap with a Smpartphone attached to my scope. I wish to use an App called Iriun to transmit the smartphone camera image back to my Windows laptop and into Sharpcap. The App itself is working fine but when I select 'Iriun Webcam', which appears in DirectShow Cameras in Sharcap, all I get back is either a blank screen or a Frozen image of the Cameras output. I have tried a similar App called DroidCam which works but does not offer autofocus and Zoom capabilities. Any help in getting this fixed would be most appreciated. I have attached a log file of the attempt to use Iriun. Many Thanks, Andy.
Attachments
Log_2022-11-28T14_06_08-6392.log
(84.37 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Using Smartphone App (Iriun) with Sharpcap

Post by admin »

Hi Andy,

there is nothing particularly bad in that log - which is a shame really, since an actual error gives you something to follow up, wherease everything appearing to go OK and then not working is harder to work out.

I take it that you can get the windows webcam driver to work in other software OK?

cheers,

Robin
andyfive

Post by andyfive »

Hello Robin,

Many Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have tried it in the standard windows Camera App and I can get the video image broadcast from my phone via the Iriun App OK. The only odd thing I notice within SharpCap that may be linked is that in the 'Capture Format and Area' section, the FPS has no value and the drop down has no values either (see below).
Sharpcap Capture.png
Sharpcap Capture.png (11.76 KiB) Viewed 7742 times
If I click on the resolution button and change it to something else it picks up and displayes a new image from the camera but again it is a still image (not video}.

Regards,

Andy.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Andy,

yes, the one warning in the log was that the FPS information wasn't available from the webcam driver. That's usually not an issue, so only rates a warning not an error.

I will have to try to set up a system to test it when I get a bit of time. SharpCap does run DirectShow cameras in a bit of an unusual way (to allow the images to be fed through the same image processing and saving code as other cameras), so it could be that the custom drivers for the phone camera don't like what SharpCap is doing.

cheers,

Robin
andyfive

Post by andyfive »

Thanks Robin,

Let me know if you would like me to test anything.

Regards,

Andy.
Sternenblick

Post by Sternenblick »

Hello Robin,

I´m also using an smartphone as an webcam with Iriun software. With Version "3.x" of sharpcap there is no problem, but with the actual V4 I get only a freezed picture. Is there any solution in future? For daytime astrophotography this is an very cheap solution with good quality.
Best regards
Thomas
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Thomas,

this is something that I have on my to-do list to investigate after SharpCap 4.1 is fully finished. For now, I'm afraid that going back to 3.2 is the only workaround.

cheers,

Robin