Recent multi-reticules changes

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
lowenthalm

Recent multi-reticules changes

Post by lowenthalm »

I generally liked the way the multi-reticules worked in earlier versions. I like being able to lock a reticule so you can't accidentally move it. To get it to do this though, it clicking the "adjust" control of a reticule you weren't using and then clicking "show: off on that reticle. This would lock all the other visible reticules. It seems to me that a "lock" checkbox would be a lot more intuitive way to implement this useful feature.

There did seem to be a bug that would sometimes leave all the "adjust" radio buttons turned off and stay off. There was no clear way to get back to be able to edit any reticules. After closing and opening and a lot of random clicking on controls, the "adjust" radio button for one of the recitucles would again be on, and it all got back to normal. Never figured out how to get in the bad state or get out of it. I have not reproduced this issue yet in the latest release, so it might be fixed.

NEW BUG: In the latest release, closing the Reticle controls window hides all your reticles! They stayed open in the previous implementation, which was much more useful. You could just click the reticle style button in the control bare to make them all go away, which is all you need. Now you have to waste screen area for that big control window. Anyway we could revert this back?

NEW IMPLEMENTATION IDEA: The new "reset" button is nice for recentering a reticule. A simple "lock" button would be very useful too, rather than the going through the tricky sequence I described above.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Recent multi-reticules changes

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for the feedback. Oddly the change to stop drawing the reticules when you close the window was a result of feedback from other users - basically if you closed the window the way it used to be, the only way to get it back was to change to a different reticule option and then change back, which was not an obvious thing to do. The current behaviour mirrors other features in SharpCap where closing (for example) the live stacking panel shuts down live stacking. I will have to think about that one...

For the locking, that's a simpler thing (and I think I had another request for that), so I will try to implement that.

One other thing on the reticules that I have been wondering about - should the positions/sizes be automatically saved and restored for you? With the reset buttons you can always set them back to default, so an auto save/restore might be useful. Thoughts?

cheers,

Robin
lowenthalm

Post by lowenthalm »

I understand having to cycle through the reticules to get the window back might be a little confusing, but making it all disappear seems like it just hides the issue rather than addressing it. One thought is that all the reticules types could use a the control window to allow you to numerically enter the size and rotation (and maybe even position!), rather than having to do this with mouse clicks and drags. Adding the reticule control window button next to the reticules button might be a generalized solution to getting being able to intuitively get the control window back when you close it. Or, couldn't you just add the "Show reticule control panel" option to the bottom of the reticule selection control menu. This seems like the best solution to me.

As for saving the position, all the reticules types could use the option to lock them and reset them.
Astro-BHO

Post by Astro-BHO »

Some time ago I got the message that the trial of multi-reticules has expired and I should download the new version.
After SharpCap got an update, the multi-reticules are working again (hooray), but now the control menu is always visible. :shock:

Especially when you take a lot of sun, moon and planetary pictures, the screen is relatively full, now the control menu is added.

If it were possible, I would ask that the control menu be left as it was before.

Regards

Bernd