Sharpcap color settings for ASI462MC

Discussions of using SharpCap for Planetary Imaging
tonystar

Sharpcap color settings for ASI462MC

Post by tonystar »

Hello members,
I have been using Sharpcap for planetary astrophotography for many years and came to love the app.
I purchased an ASI462MC last year but started to used it extensively only recently. I notice that the color rendition is very poor compared to my old 290MC that I have unfortunately sold. I learned this has to do with the RGB filters on the CMOS sensor, particularly the B filter leaking some of red and green.
Has anyone found the best RGB color correction settings for this camera in SC? If so please recommend.
Thank you
Tony
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sharpcap color settings for ASI462MC

Post by admin »

Hi Tony,

sorry, but I personally don't have any experience of this particular sensor - hopefully another forum member who has used the camera will be along soon :)

cheers,

Robin
tonystar

Post by tonystar »

Hello Robin,

thank you for your feedback. Is there any value in adjusting the gain for each RGB channel in order to get a more natural color with this camera?
Thanks
Tony
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Tony,

my personal approach is to leave the colour balance alone on the camera settings (leave WBR/WBB at 50). That way you are recording the raw data that comes from the camera with no modifications. You can then adjust in post-processing (after stacking, etc). If you adjust on the camera settings there is no way to fully 'undo' that adjustment after capturing if you decide it was the wrong thing to do.

cheers,

Robin