1TB ExFAT Format USB Drive Not Recognized

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
HxPI

1TB ExFAT Format USB Drive Not Recognized

Post by HxPI »

Running latest 64bit version on Surface Pro 8 Win11 Pro. I was unable to select a USB drive in the settings to change the file saving location. It would only show “Desktop”. Is there something I’m missing on how to change the location to save files? I didn’t have this problem using previous versions on different computer.
admin
Site Admin

Re: 1TB ExFAT Format USB Drive Not Recognized

Post by admin »

Hi,

if the background of the box where you put in the folder is going red then it means that SharpCap has found something wrong with the folder you have entered, typically

* Folder doesn't exist
* Disk full
* Failed to write a test file to the folder to check that you have permission to write to the folder

If you choose 'Help'=>'Show Log' before trying to change the folder, you can watch to see what messages show up in the log, which will explain why SharpCap is unhappy with the folder that you have chosen.

I have seen a couple of reports of antivirus programs getting in the way when SharpCap tries to write the test file to check the folder is usable - that can then make SharpCap think the folder is no good.

cheers,

Robin
HxPI

Post by HxPI »

It works. I had to type in the drive letter format correctly before it was recognized. This was not so obvious at first. I was running a lunar eclipse capture sequence and running out of internal drive space… had to work through an urgency to get another drive going. It didn’t help that the list was not like a normal file explorer selection list, as I would have expected and concluded the drive must not work with the app. It added to the frustration because it worked with FireCapture but its sequence capture function sucks and I was not able to get it doing what was needed. I would recommend an update to show all drives available as a list. Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

selection of any folder or drive is available by the '...' button to the right of the box where you can type in the path to the folder - perhaps I need to give that a better name if you didn't spot it?

cheers,

Robin
HxPI

Post by HxPI »

Yeah the “…” dialog box didn’t show the external drive listed. That’s what I was saying maybe it should. Regardless, as long as the drive works it’s fine.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

that's weird - the dialog that pops up is a standard Windows folder choosing dialog. I see removable drives, USB sticks, etc in it.

I wonder if there is something odd about the removable drive - some of them have special software on them that can change the way that Windows interacts with them... I will investigate to see if there is any way to configure the folder browsing window to be more 'inclusive'

cheers,

Robin