Plate solves with planetary cameras

PABresler

Plate solves with planetary cameras

Post by PABresler »

I have a Mars C mx 462 camera. Is it possible to plate solves or target centering with it?

Peter
NeilG

Re: Plate solves with planetary cameras

Post by NeilG »

I have an ASI 224 planetary cam on my f/10 C11 and have used it to plate solve, but I find the exposures & gain required are significantly longer/higher than my ASI533 - typically 15 - 30 secs at gain over 400.

Neil
Scopes: Celestron C11, 102SLT , Ascension 127mm Apo, Opticstar 152mm Mak, Ascension 80mm Apo
Mounts: EQ8, EQ5 Pro, Nexstar SLT
Imaging: ASI1600MM-Cool, ASI533MC-Pro, ASI290MM, ASI224MC, Quark, QHY5L-II-M,
Opticstar 82 eyepieces, lots of other stuff
admin
Site Admin

Re: Plate solves with planetary cameras

Post by admin »

Hi,

so the answer is yes in theory - as Neil points out you will need longer exposures and high gain to get enough stars visible. You will also need to have the most extensive star databases installed for your plate solving application that go down to the faintest stars. The plate solve process could also take longer than usual.

Note that these all really only apply if you are using the planetary camera with a long focal length telescope (SCT, etc). If you use it with a short focal length telescope like a 200mm focal length guide scope then plate solving will work relatively easily due to the bigger field of view.

cheers,

Robin