Feature Tracking Calibration "Failed due to inconsistent scales from Axis X"

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
garyhawkins

Re: Feature Tracking Calibration "Failed due to inconsistent scales from Axis X"

Post by garyhawkins »

Hi all,

I can tell you PHD2 can have its issues as well. I'm currently struggling to get it going again after moving all my gear into an observatory. Currently trying to resolve a 'not enough movement in the RA axis' issue from PHD2.

That being said, featuring tracking with Sharpcap worked on the moon last night after rebalancing the mount. So, my question, "Can you use feature tracking for starfields?' As a photometrist, I use tracking more to keep the starfield in the OTA FOV through a 4-6hr run, rather than keeping the stars round (my exposure is 20-40sec most of the time). Starfield tracking working to the same degree of accuracy as moon tracking would be perfect.

Best regards,

Gary
admin
Site Admin

Re: Feature Tracking Calibration "Failed due to inconsistent scales from Axis X"

Post by admin »

Hi Gary,

I've never tried it on star fields - I suspect that the calibration would be dreadfully slow (if it worked at all) because of the longer exposures needed to make then show up. To be honest, the best way to deal with that sort of drift is to use plate solving at intervals to recenter on the desired target. SharpCap 4.1 has this functionality integrated into the live stacking feature, so that if the drift exceeds a threshold (say 30 pixels), SharpCap will plate solve and correct the pointing to re-center the original target.

cheers,

Robin
garyhawkins

Post by garyhawkins »

Hi Robin,

Thanks for alerting me to drift correction using plate solving in the livestacking routine. That would overcome the issue, in the event actual guiding failed.

Best regards,

Gary

PS: I've been doing thousands of flare star measurements in the last year, all using Sharpcap for capture and image calibration. It is working great for photometry capture.
Andreas83

Post by Andreas83 »

Hi Robin,

I used the 4.1 version now, but I got this error:

Calibration Failed : Inconsistent angles of -89,8560441000491 and 129,82642385772905 from the two y measurements

And I cannot connect my Omegon via onCamera ST4. It only works with the Celestron CPWI.

With my ASI174 it works via ST4, but then there is the error.
Attachments
Log_2023-07-07T08_43_40-6752_4.1.log
(673.36 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

SharpCap does not support controlling the ST4 port on the Omegon/ToupTek/RisingSky/etc cameras, so that is not unexpected.

The error about inconsistent angles is basically reporting that SharpCap tried moving the mount in opposite directions but the image didn't move in opposite directions as a result. This is happening on the declination calibration, so it probably means that the image is drifting in RA during the calibration process, meaning that the two directions are not opposite to each other.

Ideally the drift wouldn't happen, but sometimes using a faster movement rate helps as it means the dec calibration takes less time, so there is less drift.

cheers,

Robin
Andreas83

Post by Andreas83 »

Thanks for the answer. I will test a faster movement rate.
ctortolini

Post by ctortolini »

I just throwed the towel trying to use feature tracking for solar... I really hope it gets better in the future but for now, I can't make it to work with none of my mounts (AM5, AZGTi, CEM70), so instead, I switched to this:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1320781201963513

It is a PHD add-on that can track the sun, the moon or a planet... it works like a charm

Clear skies.