Adjusting plate solve parameters passed to astap etc.

Discussion of using SharpCap for Deep Sky Imaging
bvalente

Adjusting plate solve parameters passed to astap etc.

Post by bvalente »

Hi Robin

Is it possible to adjust the parameters passed to astap for plate solving?

i have a telescope that starts out poorly pointed (well outside of 15 degrees). I need the solve and sync to do a true allsky and then sync the telescope. After that I should be good

However, it appears plate solve and sync is hard-coded to limit the search to 15 degrees? If so, is there a way to change this setting?

Thanks

Brian
admin
Site Admin

Re: Adjusting plate solve parameters passed to astap etc.

Post by admin »

Hi Brian,

no, that's not something that you can adjust sadly - the 15 degree limit is hardwired into the code. This isn't something that I really want to add an option for, since it's clearly a very rare use case. Unfortunately every time you add an option like this, far more people change it on the grounds of 'oooh, what happens if I change this' than change it because they really need to - leading to people ending up breaking their SharpCap plate solve because they have fiddled with options.

My normal suggestion for this sort of thing is to try to achieve it via the SharpCap scripting or the sequence editor. In this case, the sequence editor was closest to being able to do what you wanted, so I will add an extra available step to the next update that will let you use a simple two step sequence to achieve your goal, as shown below.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (58.07 KiB) Viewed 1204 times
Please note that the ASCOM driver for your mount may have its own limits for how far away the co-ordinates can be to accept a sync request - that may require configuration of the ASCOM driver settings to work around.

cheers,

Robin